No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass and Brass Jewrelry Box  (Read 938 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Glass and Brass Jewrelry Box
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »
Hi, had this for a while.  About 4 wide, and 6 inches long.  Made of brass/copper ?? flashing.  Glass looks like swag glass.  No marks that I can see.  It is packed away with some other glass things here and just realized never posted it

Home made or anything??  Thanks as always!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Glass and Brass Jewrelry Box
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Hi - I seem to remember these sort of objects starting to appear in the 80s - boxes, wall-hanging curio cabinets, terrariums - and think they were imported from Indonesia and India. There is however a box on Ebay that is described as "Made by Glass Mountain Creations in Coupland, Texas in the early 1980s." http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Handcrafted-Leaded-Glass-Trinket-Jewelry-Box-/151203506722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23346e6a22

From that I see there is still a small set up in Texas (Glass Mountain Waterprism) making items in a similar(ish) manner http://waterprism.com/about-us.aspx

As to your question I have no idea really but thanks for the chance to do some researching  :)
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
Re: Glass and Brass Jewrelry Box
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »
I used to make these kinds of boxes back when I was learning how to make stained glass windows.  They were common small time hobbyist type things.  All you need to make them is a few scraps of stained glass, a hardware store glass cutter, a cutting board, straight edge, a measuring tape, some copper foil tape, some solder, flux and a soldering iron or gun, some extra parts such as feet, hinges, chains to keep the top from flopping all the way back, and some patina fluid to antique the finished soldering.  Once you have your work table set up you can crank these out all day long for a couple of dollars worth of materials each.  They make great projects for teaching new stained glass students basic techniques and they feel a sense of accomplishment since they can make one in the span of a single class.  I do not know if this is what you have, but from the photo it very much looks like one of these.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand