No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass jockey boots - 1894 Epsom Derby commemoratives?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Glass jockey boots - 1894 Epsom Derby commemoratives?
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
I’ve come across several of these moulded glass posy vases (about 8cm high) in the form of a jockey’s boot and have so far seen examples in clear, black, really deep amethyst, and transparent blue, but none have identifying marks.

(Permission for the re-use of the image of the clear boot by dalimayne, and the blue boots by simmatt).

I’m led to believe that they were made to commemorate Ladas winning the Epsom Derby on 6 June 1894, but can so far find no firm evidence to substantiate the claim.

Does anyone have any idea who might have made them, please?

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Glass jockey boots - 1894 Epsom Derby commemoratives?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »
There was another one like these on Ebay earlier last year the seller said

'The black impressed riding boot commemorates Ladas winning the 1894 Epsom Derby. Impressed on the boot is the following: Lord Rosebery, Ladas, J Watts Jockey, M Dawson Trainer. The boot measures approx 3" (8cm) high 33/4" (9.5cm) long

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
(tut, tut children  ;) no board search)

Those are not Ladas boots, see here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,43186.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
Thank you, Angela and Christine.

I stand suitably chastised, Christine, although I had searched on ‘glass boot / boots” and come up with nothing (not even my own post on another boot with a possible Greener attribution).

I’m not sure if the Ladas boots (with the wording) are known in colours other than black), but the Ladas boots and the boots that I showed are so similar in other details that they must surely be from the same manufacturer. Presumably, once the novelty of the 1894 Epsom Derby commemorative connection ceased to be the main selling point, it would have made economic sense to erase the wording from the mould and simply continue producing the jockey boots as a novelty in their own right.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand