No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Liskeard glass.  (Read 954 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Liskeard glass.
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
I found this very simple but beautiful piece the other day,proving less can be more,and traced the mark to Liskeard glass, looking them up you come across the knobbly pieces alot  so i'm taking it this may not be so popular,anyone know much about their glass?it would be nice to learn more about them,many thanks.

sorry it's 11cm ht and the colour is far more marine blue in real life.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Liskeard glass.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Liskeard glass was bought by Liam Carey who worked at the studio in 1983, it was then renamed to 'Merlin' glass, which is still in operation and run by Liam Carey today. Here is a link to their website below, there is also a little bit of background on the evolution of the company:

http://www.merlinglass.co.uk/about-merlin-glass.php

I'm not sure exactly when the embossed 'LG' marked ceased being used, Andy McConnell dates the mark to between 1970-9. From speaking to Merlin Glass previously, I gather the mark may have also possibly been used a couple of years after this point. They have always been very helpful in the past when I have contacted them by email. Hope this helps a little.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
Thanks Greg ,very useful.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
Carol and Liam, from Merlin glass, have got back to me very promptly and confirmed the date78/9,so thanks very much to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand