No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Monart? ID = Isle of Wight Studio Glass  (Read 449 times)

Offline strayanglo

• Members
  • Expert in training
    • Art Glass
    • UK
Is this Monart? ID = Isle of Wight Studio Glass
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
Hi all,
Seeing as you all did so well last time I've come to you in hope you can solve my latest query  :)

Is this Monart?
It has all the charicteristics however I cannot find any record of this shape

Thanks
Alix

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Is this Monart?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
It looks far more like a recent piece from the recently demised Isle of Wight Studio.
Tim Harris produced a small range of pieces like this. They either have a satinated or shiny finish, with no irridesence.
Monart would have just white around the red, is unlikely to have a small applied black rim, and would have a subtle irridesence and would be finished off differently.
This is an IoWSG shape.
Originally, the pieces were only available to collector's club members, but a few did become available for general sale. They did come in several colours - or multicoloured.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline strayanglo

• Members
  • Expert in training
    • Art Glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Wow that was a quick response. Thank You  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »
Just luck. And luck that I happen to know the Monart bits you are thinking of, and the Isle of Wight stuff it is most likely to be.
How is the surface finished?
Matt?
Shiney?
Irridised?

It is a very, very pretty thing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline strayanglo

• Members
  • Expert in training
    • Art Glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »
It has a matt finish

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »
I thought it might. The black rim looks far better matt.
Monart would not be matt.
I have a couple of perfume bottles from this range - multicoloured rainbowy ones. A matt one on an orange background, and a shiney one on black. I'll see if I can track some images down.

The pieces from this range did disappear from the collector's club web pages as soon as they appeared, not many made it in to the pages for the general public, and when they got there, they were snapped up. I did take quite a serious interest in them. They weren't cheap either.  :o

I collect Mdina and early IoWSG (although I've pretty much come to the end of the road on this) but did follow IoWSG and have a few of Tim's one-offs and some other "restricted availability" bits as a member of the club; my brother and his OH collect Monart and Ysart glass, so I've handled and seen a lot of that.

You may be slightly disappointed that it's not a scarce and desirable bit of Monart, but it is a scarce and desirable bit of Isle of Wight Studio Glass. A lot newer, but still a really lovely bit of glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »
This is my multicoloured on black perfume bottle. It's shiney. I would have preferred the matt finish. It's much more elegant.
But when they were being sold, they only appeared in dribs and drabs, one at a time almost, and I didn't know if more would be made, so I simply bought the two that were available when I was in the running for them.
It was a slightly annoying habit they had. You never got to see the whole lot before deciding which one you did want, and often after buying something, stuff I far preferred came out afterwards, which left me feeling both disappointed and manipulated.
It got their sales up though, it was a technique that worked, as far as selling went.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand