No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful iridized red and blue bubble powder fill bowl... ysart?  (Read 479 times)

Offline somethingloved

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • retro,ness
    • United Kingdom
Thanks for looking and if anyone can advise on who made this piece I will be most grateful. The moment I saw this bowl glimmering on the self in a dusty secondhand shop in a fairly snobby area of Bedfordshire, I thought I have to have it. I believe that it belongs in the Ysart Family, not sure which one?  The thing what puts me off on the Ysart theory is the applied clear foot. I didn't think that they used a clear foot, only a foot which followed on the pattern of the piece. So my brain kicked in and hit some books.

I don't think that is from Scandinavia, possibly could be an orrefors piece but the wonkinest puts me off,  I've had a flick through 20th Century British glass and the closest I came was a bubble inclusion series by Murray for Steven and Williams, with had the large random bubbles, No further images of the series and no clear foot. Or how about whitefriars? Lots of cased feet and wonky bowls, Just not sure.

The piece has a clear foot with a polished pontil, identical to whitefriars. I hope the photos are good enough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Beautiful iridized red and blue bubble powder fill bowl... ysart?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
First of all  welcome to GMB.
Definitely not Monart or Vasart piece, can not help you on the maker. I am sure some other board member will help you out.
As an aside Monart and Vasart did use clear glass feet for their pieces.
Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
Hi and welcome! :)
I reckon this is probably fairly recent. Unfortunately, I do not recognise it at all. :'(

But I'd like to thank you for such lovely, clear, illustrative images, showing exactly what we need to see to be able to start working on tracking a maker down; for posting them directly to the board, and for coming up with a lovely clear title to describe your piece. ;D
The most important thing about it is that you loved it at fist sight. That's always a good way to go. ;)

Stylistically, my first suggestion might be Saunders and Wallace.... I'll have a wee google.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline somethingloved

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • retro,ness
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
Thank you for your replies and I am slightly gutted its not Monart or Ysart, Still digging on the Scandinavian side, Have a few ideas on where to look next, Hoglund made a vase  similar, A few others, Think Fire and Ice will have to be dug out.

Thanks for you help     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
Hi, again.
If you're interested in Ysart Glass, perhaps you might enjoy browsing "our" Frank's site?
An ongoing labour of love to catalogue everything ever done and related to it.

It might give you a little more insight in order to be able to recognise it in the future.  :)

http://ysartglass.com/

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand