No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible ABP cream or milk jug.  (Read 460 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible ABP cream or milk jug.
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
I'm hoping this is ABP from the beginning of the C20  -  previously pieces of what I thought were this turned out to be Czech from 1950's!
Seems to have all the right features, but regret I can't find the pattern in my one and only book, so perhaps someone from the other side of the pond is able to recognize the design.
The saw tooth rim is moulded , but everything else is cut.........          the mitres are deep - the handle looks right especially with those lenses, and the robust squat shape looks o.k. for the period.
The prismatic cutting under the lip is a much older feature, seen often on Georgian/Regency pieces, but probably never gone away.

About 3.25" at the tallest, and heavy for its size.               Unfortunately, it hasn't travelled well over the years, and the pix belie some extensive general wear, but since I so rarely see any ABP, I would have kept it for reference anyhow.             Of course, I might still be wrong and this could also be Czech. ;)
thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: possible ABP cream or milk jug.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
Beautiful cutting on the base.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
Hi Paul

I cannot confirm that it is ABP. I have a couple of good books and about 10 pieces of ABP.

The base looks very much like some of the pieces I have and seen in my books. The cutting on the lip I can see on a couple of pieces in one of my books.
My only concern would be the moulded  saw tooth rim, mine all seem to be cut. I know most of the Czech pieces are not polished all over.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
thanks for the replies :)          .........       and apolgoies too - in fact the saw tooth rim IS cut, and not moulded - I should look more carefully.
The V cuts are are treated in such a way that looking quickly the rim appears to have a moulded effect, but some feint grinding marks do remain.

Which books do you have Roy??  -  the only one I have is the Jane Spillman volume I mentioned the other day.            There seem to be mountains of different designs of ABP, and I get the impression that the appearance of a given design might sometimes have been varied, depending on the size of the item  -  some of the patterns are quite large in overall effect, and wouldn't fit, for example, on a small piece such as this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
Paul the two books I have are The American Cut Glass Industry T. G Hawkes and his Competitors by Jane Shadel Spillman and Identifying American Brilliant Cut Glass by Bill and Louise Boggess.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand