No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars or webb tankard help please.  (Read 3971 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Whitefriars or webb tankard help please.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »
I'll take this up the local glass museum, they may be able to help, seeing as though so many people have them and get a once and for all answer. 
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
I have a couple of water sets, and a couple of rounded body tankards. (Not in this pale blue though, various shades of greens and smoke)
But this is a very common design to find - too common to be Webb I would think, even if that was the conclusion at one time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
quote..................."too common to be Webb I would think"........                some designs/colours from T/Webb are known to be very common, so I wouldn't rule that factory out on the grounds of something being abundant.           
There have been periods when I've seen bullseye frequently, certainly more commonly than this particular pattern  -  in fact I'd say that bullseye is arguably the most common of all T/Webb designs, followed closely by the wave pattern.

Have to admit that I've never seen a piece of T/Webb in smoke - so if you have one of these with that colour Sue, it might spell the death for a Webb attribution.            T/Webb did more than one green I believe.

It's frustrating that we can't source a piece of genuine T/Webb's Ribbonette - which might well settle the argument.   

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:20:30 PM »
Well done, Paul.   Please would all members ensure that they endorse any use of "Ribbonette" with Webb or T/Webb, as Paul has done here, if they are talking about Webb's tight zigzag pattern shown in Hajdamach I, p433.

Why?   I suspect at least one other and possibly more British glass houses used the name "Ribbonette" for ranges of their own.   Also at least one British pottery used it.   So it's a word like "Grotesque" (S&W or Walsh) that always needs qualifying.

What convinced me that this pattern was an import, probably made to order for the British market via a large retailer, wholesaler, or factor, was the strange colour of my two coloured water jugs (see my earlier link).   I cannot think of any British glass house that produced such odd colours mid C20.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Chris Harrison has the tankard in blue and some Stuart glasses or bowls in the blue so may be able to tell us more if he's still reading this... I have Stuart blue bowls but my tankard is brown so no use as a match!  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:02 AM »
I have a water set of jug  and pilsener glasses by Stuart in that blue colour.  I recently saw another set some thousand miles away from home that I did not buy because I did not believe it was crystal, and there were no Stuart markings.  But the colour was right.  The pontil marks had been ground out so only a narrow ring was there to sit on.

In conclusion - If it does not have the weight for crystal it won't be either Stuart or Whitefriars, in my judgment.  But someone else produced in that colour because I saw the second unmarked set in glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
Hello all (thanks for the heads-up, Anne).

I previously commented on these in
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37495.10.html and
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37495.10.html

I now have English pint/20 ozs/560ml and 12 ozs/340ml tankards in this pattern in flint, blue, green, brown and amber.  They are all heavy crystal and ping nicely.  None is backstamped, and all have nicely ground pontils.

I am nowhere near them at the moment, so can't post any new photos.  Sorry.

From my notes I can say, the blue and green colours are a perfect match for some Stuart Stratford bowls and glasses that I had (just like Paul S's, above).  The amber is a molten caramel colour, darker and richer than the WF studio amber (quite Webb-like, in fact).  The brown has a pinkish tinge and is much paler than bottle glass.  None of the colours is UV-reactive.

I haven't ever seen any other colours.  I guess blokes didn't fancy drinking beer out of pink pots...

I have two 1-litre/35 fl oz jugs in the same six-point pattern (in flint).  One straight-sided and conical (a classic Stourbridge shape, so I'm told).  The second with base and rim of equal diameter, but with a in-curved egg-timer waist.  I spotted one of the latter among the mass of pieces that used to be lined up near the entrance to the Red House Glass Cone museum in Stourbridge six or seven years ago (maybe they still are).  Don't know whether those items were all Stuart or not, but a lot of them definitely were. 

I also used to have a half-litre conical jug and small posy vase with a crimped rim, both in flint.

I hope that all makes sense.  If I had to guess, I'd say the glasses are Stuart.  But I wouldn't want to pick a fight over it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
I'm afraid my smoke coloured set went back to a charity shop, it would appear I have one greyish amber jug and two matching glasses only, in the water sets. I needed the cupboard space.
Pic of what I still have. At least it does show some of the colours rather well, the three glasses are quite accurate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »
Mine,for reference, ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:53:40 PM »
Stuart does seem to be a popular line of thought, and I wouldn't presume to judge  -  other than to comment that knowing that Stuart did apply backstamps  -  albeit not constantly - then surely wouldn't at least one of the many piece of this pattern that people own, show a Stuart backstamp?

The other rather blindingly obvious thought I've just had is.............     thinking of this rather electric blue  -  I'm not aware that T/Webb ever did such a colour.              Am I correct with that comment? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand