No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alabastro Duck ?  (Read 473 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Alabastro Duck ?
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
Looking for help with this Duck.  I cant find a maker ?? Type Alabastro in and all you get is A. Seguso (would be nice) The Pictures need taking again in natural light in the morning as I had to adjust these (its dark up north now  :) :) ) It has a Polished base. This is 12cm Wide and about 12cm in height. Some wear marks to the base. Would this be Alabastro or some other term.  It came with 2 Geodes 1 with Uranium and a Green Bullicante. Not having much luck with those either as none are signed so dont hold out much hope with them. I will post those if I find no more than I have. 
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Alabastro Duck ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
It is not alabastro glass which would be quite opaque, here is an example from Archimede Seguso: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/GlassFromMurano#5730197280647745090

Your duck does appear to be opalescent though which is a nice feature, sorry no idea who on Murano might have made it. A good place to start looking for clues regarding style is Anita's Murano Zoo: https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
It was searching a lot of images and very similar birds attributed to AS but I know 80% of 'Murano' on line is not Murano. I know its difficult without signatures to find a maker other than Murano. I am having the same problem with the other pieces I have  ??? Here are a couple of daylight pics...
           My first port of call with animals is always Anita's Murano Zoo, even if it is just to look at the glass  :D Some great pieces I would like to see in the flesh. A lot of the birds are similar in style so more searching needed I think. Thanks John.

Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
The modelling of the duck looks fairly standard, although I don't know the names of appropriate makers, but the use of opalescent glass in one is very unusual indeed. It's also rather lovely with the other colours. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand