No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian/Victorian Custard Cups  (Read 758 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Georgian/Victorian Custard Cups
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »
It seems to me that not many people are interested in custard cups anymore. I see most (all?) of them going unsold on ebay. Is anyone interested in these anymore?

I have a couple that are heavy and seem very high quality which I bought a few years ago when I thought I might start collecting them but now what I'm trying to thin my collections I was thinking of selling them. Any ideas? or not to even bother?

thanks,
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
Re: Georgian/Victorian Custard Cups
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
Hi Julie, as you know, like any other old piece of glass the value depends on rarity, quality, condition etc.  There are a lot of custard cups around and most of them are pretty much the same, so collectors don't value ordinary pieces very highly.  I recently sold a set of four early Victorian ones on eBay for the princely sum of £5.00.  However, rare items do command quite high sums.  A double B handle custard cup recently sold at Bonhams Oxford for £562.00 inclusive of buyer's commission.  You can see this cup at http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21728/lot/40/.

If you post your cup here we can give you an idea of rarity.  If not rare then I would suggest using them.  They are as useful today as they were then and at the price they command can even go in the dishwasher afterwards!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
Julie

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »
Hi Julie, he'll be lucky to make the £12.00 he is asking for them.  Having said that, they are nice things in their own right, hand-blown and well made.  If you are intent on selling them then you'll get the best price if you can make them up into a set of six or eight.  Sets tend to get a premium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
and I'm the other collector of custard cups ;D

I've been picking up the odd piece for a few years and now have 50 - 60 different designs  -  and after you've been doing this for a few years you begin to think they'll never end - and they probably don't.           Same with jellies, they seem to go on for ever with limitless designs, and are possibly older than custards.
I think that like many examples of social/domestic glass they have their moment of fame and then become less fashionable  -  unless it's pieces as Neil suggests such as the double B handles, Lynn or diamond moulding.
It's when you see pieces from the Tim Udall collection, for example, that you begin to realize how appealing they can be  -- but then you need a mortgage to buy them!

Must admit they have been rather quiet on the Board in recent times  -  but that may reflect their absence from usual buying sources, possibly.

Can't really think what you could use them for, other than small desert containers - they're too small really for anything practicable  -  could mix Polyfilla in them I suppose ;)             Probably older if they have snapped pontil scars, and pressed examples are possibly of less value than cut examples, with coloured pieces  -  cranberry or amber of greater interest.

I hope you do get something for yours Julie :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand