No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help with small Georgian ? Cordial Glass  (Read 766 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Please help with small Georgian ? Cordial Glass
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Hello again, I bought this small (9,6 cm) facet stem engraved glass. Could it a Georgian glass? The seller said it is French and Napoleon III, but I do not think so (or is it?). I do not know if Georgian glasses have this star-like pattern on the foot, and also if the engraved decoration fits in that period... The foot has also a ground pointil. I think it is lead glass, it has a nice ring and under blacklight it has a violet colour. The yellowish tone in the photos is not the real one, the glass is quite clear.  Sorry for the flashlight but today there was no good natural light at all. I hope the experts can help me with this one!
Thank you very much in advance,
 Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
Re: Please help with small Georgian ? Cordial Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
Has really nobody an idea? :'(  The glass reminds me of the georgian facet stem glasses, could this be one?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
It certainly has the stem of a Georgian glass, but it's the photo of the foot that worries me. Is it cut or moulded?

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »
Hi Mat, I don't believe that your glass is Georgian but I'm sure that Peter (oldglassman) will be along to correct me if I am wrong, and possibly even if I am not wholly right.  The period for Georgian facet stem wine glasses ran from about 1780 through to the early 19th century.  Some of the Georgian facet stem glasses had polished pontil marks (they were polishing the facets so why not do the foot as well) so I wouldn't rule it out on that score.  There were, however, a number of Georgian revivals following that period in which such glasses were made and they were made in a number of different European countries. 

My reasons for suspecting that this is a later glass are that a) it has a thick stem.  This is more common in later glasses than earlier Georgian glasses; b) you mention that the glass is very clear, almost like a modern glass?  Are there any striations or other toolmarks in the bowl?  Georgian glass would have such striation and modern glasses would likely not; and c) the star cut foot.  I haven't yet seen a star-cut foot on a Georgian facet stem wine glass.  When star-cut bases did occur they were usually cut to the edge I believe.  The decoration of the border appears to be continental and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is French.

Hope this helps a little.  Still a nice glass!

Best wishes
Neil

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
Hi again and thank you! The foot is cut, not moulded. The glass is rather clear, it has no inclusions, but some small air bubbles. There are horizontal striations visible on the bowl.

Mat

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
 Hi ,
         You rang  ;) ,

Not a lot to say really "  The period for Georgian facet stem wine glasses ran from about 1780 ", for another time maybe    :P,

"My reasons for suspecting that this is a later glass are that a) it has a thick stem."

yep and non lead suggests continental , Napoleon the 3rd takes us to 1873,and french why not ,could be a little earlier but not Georgian and could also be later , from a photo that's about as close as it gets I think unless someone can find reference in a pattern book ,

"Georgian glass would have such striation and modern glasses would likely not",

I think if hand made they would, see www.georgianglassmakers.co.uk   ;D

cheers ,
             Peter

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
So thank you all for your input! I see that the glass cannot be Georgian, and as I did not buy it as one, it is no dissapointment. Just one last question: why do you think it is non-lead?
Best wishes
Mat

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
HI ,
          Sorry I picked up on the yellowish tone , lead glass it probably is .

cheers ,
              Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand