No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cobalt Blue Wrythen Glass 6 in.  (Read 672 times)

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
Cobalt Blue Wrythen Glass 6 in.
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »
Hoping someone is able to help with this mystery piece.  I've contacted both the Bristol Blue Museum and the Sandwich Glass Museum, and they both nayed it.  The piece is 6" tall.  I UV'd it and it does the nasty when exposed.  It is a loner, not of a set.  Thanks in advance for any assistance. 
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cobalt Blue Wrythen Glass 6 in.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
hello Ellen  -  although you've posted a pic of the underside of the foot, it looks rather murky, and I can't see any detail.            Also notice your pix are on the small side, which means when we blow them up they tend to blur.                Try getting the first dimension to 700 pixels - it should help.
I suspect this is quite modern  -  is the underneath of the foot quite smooth with nothing more than a slight bump in the centre?

Regret that unless someone recognizes this particular piece, then there's little we can do in the way of analysis to run down a maker.
Failing a fairly quick recognition of this as a particular modern item, then identification relies on features/characteristics to point in certain directions, but that applies usually to older glasses.           Not sure that I understand your meaning when you it does the nasty under u.v. - care to amplify :)

Apologies if I've got it wrong, but is the wrythen effect actually proud of the surface (as it should be for this description), or is it simply a feature of the colour only that is creating an optical effect of the swirl?

Notice your date lines on the pix captions  -  were these intended? :)                 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:01:50 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Paul.

Sorry, everyone, for making you suffer through my poor descriptions.  I hope these photos are better.  The pontil is polished as you can see, but not evenly as it would be in a new glass.  There is a small bump.  The wrythen effect is true - I mean, it can be felt, it's not just an optical illusion.  Under UV it fluoresces an acid green.  It has a beautiful, clear ring. The date lines in the previous photos were just from a computer file, so I've renamed the files.  I realize it has almost zero wear on the base - it was never displayed as long as my mother-in-law had it.  It spent it's life either in a showcase or packed away. 

Thanks again,
Ellen
Ontario, Canada           
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
hi Ellen  -  great improvement to the pix by the way, and can now actually see the wrythen effect on the bowl :)

No problem with your descriptions that we can't sort out  -  sometimes, and especially with the undersides of feet, the only way to capture detail is to up-end the glass and deliberately allow light to reflect off the foot so that the camera can see detail.                  None of this is obvious unless you've lots of photo skills, and it just takes a while to get the hang of the best angles - but light is the answer when used properly.       If you have a macro/close up facility on the camera, it's worth trying this to see if the final image is improved.
I'm unsure if you understand fully the meaning of the word pontil  -  another foreign word unless you've glass experience - my apologies if you are in fact a genius at glass knowledge ;D
You speak of a bump, and this is usually the opposite of a pontil mark, and suggests a modern factory method of manufacture.

I'm of the opinion that this is fairly modern (in glass terms this probably means the last half century) - do you know for how long your m-i-l owned this piece?

We have folk here who should know about blue glass fluorescing acid green, but it's not something I'm aware of.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:12 AM »
Hi Paul

I will get busy later this week and dig out the piece to get better photos of the base.  I think my MIL would have have this piece since at least 1950. 

Thanks again
Ellen,
Ontario Canada
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum