No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage ale glass double knop pinkish stem help please.  (Read 534 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Vintage ale glass double knop pinkish stem help please.
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »
What do you guys on an age for this. It has a pinkish stained stem similar to sun purpling, a snapped rough pontil and wear to the base, no seeds and a nice ring, the glass in the bowl looks like what i can only describe as running dried paint in two places something i have not seen before.

I took the pics earlier in day light to try and show the tinge to the glass.

It's 6 1/2 inches in height, 2 3/8th inches across the rim and base, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Vintage ale glass double knop pinkish stem help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
I've seen some similar on line described as Georgian champagne flutes about 1825,might be a line to follow?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
Looks more like a flute than a straightforward ale glass, and since probably C19 then could have been for either ale or champagne  -  apparently there wasn't a great deal of difference between the two.
In the U.K. saucers started to be used after the 1830's, so this might be an ale flute, but not easy to certain, and the everted rim might suggest more for the bubbly stuff.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
I struggle to believe these delicate bits of glass are so old and have no damage, that is of course if it is from the 1820's.

Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
my opinion would be for a later date - the snapped pontil scar can be found on quality glass at almost any time in the C19 ............but perhaps this one might be nearer to 1850 - 70.       I wonder if Ivo can find the pattern in his dansk catalogues.                  The knop structure doesn't look a million miles aways from Dirk's in this link:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55942.msg317057.html#msg317057

could be wrong, but I don't think 1820 - but would be great if it was that old. :) 

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi, I believe the pink stain is caused by an impurity in the glass.  I actually had one that was nearly purple not so long ago.  One of the glassmakers will correct me but I think it is an excess of manganese which causes the colour.  I'd agree with the 1830-1840 attribution.  They were well made and of reasonably thick glass so a lot have survived.  Much nicer to drink champagne from than a modern glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
It is not necessarily an excess of manganese; it could just be too much time exposed to sunlight sitting on a shelf. The manganese, which is an additive used in smallish amounts to counteract the greenish effect of too much iron (the impurity) in the sand used, changes its oxidation state under UV light and reverts to the purple form. It's a slow process here in the UK but it does happen. Lots of manganese was one option for providing a rich purple.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand