No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The demise of the St Mande factory 1857  (Read 974 times)

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
The demise of the St Mande factory 1857
« on: March 28, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
Hi All, I have just bought a lithograph titled "Incendie a Saint Mande, le 3 septembre 1857" - the fire in Saint Mande 1857. The image is of people fighting a fire and the mayhem is apparent in the scene. In the background is a factory chimney of the type found in glass factories of the day. All the literature states that the St Mande factory ceased production in 1857..... was fire the reason the factory closed.?.. can anyone point me to a good account of the history of the factory? thanks, Don

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: The demise of the St Mande factory 1857
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
I can't help and I'm sure you've noticed but just in case not :-[ there is a factory name written on the building on the right hand side of the picture.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
Re: The demise of the St Mande factory 1857
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
Hi M

Yeah I looked at that, and it seems to be half a building with the reminants reading " .....ONIUMS" but this building seems to be over the street to the chimney and may have been distroyed in the fire too.... It is all speculation but nontheless interesting. Somewhere there must be an account of why the factory closed in 1857.

Don

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand