No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Late Georgian (?) Rummer  (Read 606 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Late Georgian (?) Rummer
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Dear forum members,
I want to show you this rummer. It is ca. 16 cm high and has tool marks and small inclusions on the bowl. The foot has a sharp pontil mark. It is made of lead glass, I think. It has a slightly greyish look and it rings. There is quite some wear on the foot and small scratches all over the bowl. I would think it was made around 1820, or am I wrong? I did not see such a flattened knop on the examples in the internet. Did this stem shape exist in that time? I hope someone can confirm or correct me???
Thank you again,
MatW

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Late Georgian (?) Rummer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
your point Mat, regarding the type of stem and knop construction, is worth mentioning.       I've just had a look at Tim Mill's excellent book on Rummers - which is worth buying if you do collect this type of drinking glass - and I can't see an example showing a cushion/ball knop - plus collar - to quite match your stem.
Apparently strong knops were an Irish feature, but the rest of your glass doesn't show any of the known Irish characteristics.
However, the ovoid bowl shape is o.k., and together with the other features you mention would indicate this is probably right -  certainly this type of knop can be found - on rummers - in the first 20 years of the C19, and it's possible your glass may be a little earlier than you are suggesting, assuming it is genuinely old.
Assessing clear glass on the screen is not easy, and age is determined often by looking at the combined features.               The height is heading towards the higher end of drinking rummers.
Looking for deeply recessed dirt in pontil scars can help.
The potential pitfall with rummers is that they were made in the C20 between the wars (and in fact have been made in the last 25 years by Royal Brierley for example) and with snapped pontil scars - but the colour of the glass, seeds, tool marks and evident wear etc. should help to discount those.      Let's see what others think. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Re: Late Georgian (?) Rummer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
Thank you Paul for all this information!  :) Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia