No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby IQW basket, unknown pattern, lozenge for 14 August 1879.  (Read 1356 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A Sowerby Ivory Queen’s ware 2-handled basket, the base bearing the peacock head trademark and the registry date lozenge for 14 August 1879 – Parcel 15. The basket is about 3 inches long.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Bobby Cox).

I can’t recall seeing a Sowerby basket in this pattern before. The basket is unusual in that it is rectangular in section but the two narrow ends slope quite steeply upwards from a distinct basketweave foot; the two long sides each have a handle at the top, the handles being spread open somewhat.

There are quite a few Sowerby basket patterns, but so far I have been unable to find a matching Sowerby pattern in their catalogues to match this design. Does anyone have a pattern number for this basket, please? Does anyone have photos to show of a similar basket in other colours, or perhaps with closed handles (as is sometimes found with Sowerby baskets)

The date lozenge covers a Sowerby design bundle of 5 design registrations, RDs 338294 to 338298. I know that this is not RD 338295 (which is basket pattern number 1426, oval in section and with a floral pattern to the inside) or RD 338296 (pattern number 1436, the ‘3 swans’ vase), so I presume that this basket is either RD 338294, 338297, or 338298. If Paul S. visits this post, I wonder if he has the 3 design registration representations to hand for a definitive consultation, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby IQW basket, unknown pattern, lozenge for 14 August 1879.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
it looks to be 338297 - I'll post the picture as soon as I've done the watermarking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
I'm attaching copies of the Sowerby Registrations for 338294, 338297 (which should match this piece), and 338298.
Unfortunately, as usual these blue drawings never transfer to the small screen very clearly, but hope you can see sufficient of the details.
As always sincere thanks to the Trustees at The National Archives for their continued permission to reproduce the Board of Trade images for these Class 3 Registrations. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
Thank you very much, Paul.

First class service as usual.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Thompson describes RD 338294 as a ‘sugar’ and RD 338298 as a ‘double hanging vase’. I‘ve quickly checked through the likely Sowerby catalogues but so far I can’t find pieces in the catalogues that match either of the design representations.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »
well, as you can see, the original Sowerby drawing for Rd. 338298 is captioned 'double hanging basket' - so Thompson was correct in using that description (which presumably like me the lady acquired from Kew) - and it is denoted as CLASS 3, so certainly not one of the hidden CLASS 4 miscreants.            Some researchers, as we know, used factory records only as their source, and others also included information from Kew.

Since this drawing is freely available at Kew, and was obviously seen by Thompson, then the conclusion might be that it has been omitted from recent publications by those researchers who used only the factory records  -  who knows?? maybe records for this particular item were lost or mislaid at the factory.
The same deductive reasoning may well be applied to the sugar.              However, I've not checked to see if your comments are true, and it's too late at night to start now  -  but we trust you ;D

quote............"so far I can’t find pieces in the catalogues that match either of the design representations."
Assume you mean the CD catalogues only, and not the books??     You probably won't find the sugar in the books  -  too boring, but since the hanging basket looks unusual, suppose there's a chance it might be in one of them.
However, as we know only a small percentage of the total images of the pressed Registrations appear in the books  -  I don't know how comprehensive the CD's are  -  you're the expert on these things Fred ;)

I wonder if Glen Thistlewood might be able to assist with this matter - having seen the original factory records.??

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
Hi Fred

One year on and I have found the same basket but in opalescent glass, looks like this one is not a common pattern either .

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
Thank you for showing the basket, Roy.

A very nice piece, especially in that opalescent glass.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand