No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Older Heavy Thick Molded Green Vase with Leaf Pattern ID Help Needed.  (Read 415 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Sorry for the bad pic, and only one I have, but trying to identify this piece of glass. Very dark green and stands at about 8 inches tall. Very thick and has a flat ground ring around the outer edge of the base... no marks of any kind.....  Any suggestions?

TIA Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Older Heavy Thick Molded Green Vase with Leaf Pattern ID Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
We don't know what this is. I have a deep inky blue one.
It's a stunning design, isn't it?
The mould was a really complicated one, so the seams run along the edges of the leaves, it (well mine) has the "bird-bath" style of base normally associated with Czech glass, and the combination of complex mould, but not having been totally beautifully finshed off (there are mould seams which haven't been polished out, which one might expect on a very high quality item) leads me to suspect it has a Bohemian sort of origin.
Here's the thread on mine. Quite a lot of discussion!

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40718.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Thanks Sue.... It is quite the piece actually. The thickness of the leaves in places is quite unique. I am actually surprised it has not been identified. It seems the style of work would be quite obvious to someone as to origins. Great read in the other thread....  The pic of the base of yours is basically the same as this one.....  It is at a sale I did some consulting work for on the glass....  this was one of two pieces out of about 70 I could not really come up with even a generic ID for.....  Interesting piece...

Thanks again!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
I'm still very surprised that it hasn't been id'd yet. It is so spectacular a piece.
It has "presence".

I'm still leaning heavily towards Czech/Bohemian.
Only in a very large factory, with loads of resources, would such a complex mould have been made in the first place and then not used and used to within a few mms of it's life.

Thes pieces are not overly common. And like you and me, when a glassie sort of person sees one of these, they tend to grab it, hoping to find an id later, so it has cropped up here since I posted mine.

It's too fascinating and good a thing for any of us with curiosity to leave behind.

I'm not normally a huge fan of pressed glass, but I simply HAD to have this piece as my example of the genre. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand