No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID Mushroom Cloud PW. ID = Murano, Ferro and Lazzarini  (Read 1958 times)

Offline chrisade

• Members
    • Australia
This rather weird PW has a flat black base that is layered with sparkly stuff and above that is a cloud like formation with glittery bronze coloured flecks. I would appreciate any thoughts as to origin and age. There are some age related scratches to the base. It is 6cms  high x 7cms across. Thanks Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Help to ID Mushroom Cloud PW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Hi Chris,

I think that it is Murano (I would venture from Ferro and Lazzarini). The 'sparkly stuff' is aventurine and used quite widely in Murano items. The weight is quite recent, maybe 1980s (any way, last part of the 20th century).

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
There are two similar weights to this in Paperweights by Sybil Jargsdorf.
Both by Ferro and Lazzarini as Sophie has said.
One on page 57 which is a lampworked flower bouquet in a mushroom type shape and on a very similar aventurine ground to your weight.
The other is on page 58 which also has a similar ground I think and has the aventurine shapes.  In this weight these look like balls of aventurine bobbles in ball shaped clusters floating above the ground.
It's difficult to tell from the pics whether they are on a black 'base' ground underneath the aventurine but I think it's possible they are.  I have two of their weights, one of which is very similar to one described in the book and where the book doesn't denote that it is on a dark ground, but it is (in this case dark blue, in the case of my  other one, it is black).
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chrisade

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
Thank you very much SophieB and flying free. The information is appreciated - I would never have thought Italian, but it all makes sense with the aventurine and colour and style.
Cheers
Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand