No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Georgian cream jug?  (Read 854 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Blue Georgian cream jug?
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
Hi all,this little jug stands about 8cm in ht with a broken pontil and folded rim,it's mold blown and i'm guessing about 1800 from initial research with nice wear to the base.I've always read these type of thin handles are vulnerable at the join but it seems ok to me although there is a light change at the very base of the join where it thickens slightly,i think it's mainly to do with the thickness change at that point and i;ve never looked at a handle join so closely before, you can run a tip of a thin blade over it with no sign of a break in the glass.Any thoughts most welcome.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blue Georgian cream jug?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »
Coloured cream jugs similar to this were made in profusion during the last quarter of the C18, in amethyst, various shades of blue, clear, green  -  with feet, without feet - probably mostly with a kick and accompanying pontil scar.            Of course always with the top down strap type handles, and frequently with folded top rims, and probably all with some sort of moulded pattern - trellis/wrythen/ribbed  -  often looking rustic and wonky like this one.           Probably made in a variety of places in Europe plus the states, and it's possible that Steigel imported British examples and copied the shapes etc.

If genuine I'd have thought c. 1790 - but always worth running this past someone like Peter (oldglassman) who may well have some better suggestions to confirm or otherwise.         Size wise it sounds on the small side, but that may not be an issue, and I'd have thought period pieces expensive.

sorry this isn't the positive id you may have wished for. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
Thanks Paul,judging from the wear on the base moldings it has some age,there's alot of small air bubbles and bits and bobs in the glass and i'm fairly certain it's soda glass,just measured again to make sure and it is just over 3 inches ht.Funnily enough the one photo i bought it from was done with a flash that made it look like the handle  was cracked a third of the way up so i was chuffed when i found it was fine.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Hi,

Paul is right as to date - 1790-1820.  I have a couple and they come up quite regularly.  They are often paired with a sugar bowl such as that attached.

Best wishes
Neil

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
That's great thanks neil,i'll keep an eye out for the bowl. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »
there's a variety of coloured cream jugs included in the Christie's catalogues covering the Parkington sales - but a less expensive way of seeing similar illustrations is to buy  'Coloured Glass' by Derek C. Davis & Keith Middlemas.       Not entirely sure of the accuracy of the text, but some great pix of a variety of coloured glass from both C18 and C19.

With the Parkington catalogues you get acres of other sorts of glass, which is very useful, although the 'Coloured Glass' book doesn't have such wide coverage - but lot cheaper  -  I think there was/is a copy of ebay, but I forget for how much. :) 

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »
Going to get that Paul ,thanks for the heads up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand