No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart JC bowl  (Read 1562 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Monart JC bowl
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my new Monart bowl - shape JC size IV, it is actually 11" in diameter which is a little bit larger .
Unfortunately it also has a crack in it but still looks beautiful and very bubbly - in some of the large bubbles you can still see the remains of the charcoal.
The colours are very dense in the bottom of the bowl - pinks, purples and blues shading to translucent around the top - it really needs displaying on it's side!
Roberta

Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart JC bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
A nice bowl in a spectacular colourway you have there Roberta, the colour code is 244.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »
Thanks for that Gary.
 Are you in charge of the colour cataloguing? is Ysartglass waiting for colour codes? There is no 244 on the website (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
 Does that make mine pre-war or is it the same codes post-war?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge,
Roberta
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
It is a particularly beautiful thing.  :)
I have a small (5") one. ;D

Many bowls do look better displayed upsidedown. I have absolutely no qualms about propping bowls on stands, upsidedown, so they show all their glory properly.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Thanks for that Gary.
 Are you in charge of the colour cataloguing? is Ysartglass waiting for colour codes? There is no 244 on the website (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
 Does that make mine pre-war or is it the same codes post-war?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge,
Roberta

No Roberta I am not in charge of colour cataloguing for Ysart Glass.  Please follow link below for previous thread on colour codes. I believe Frank has a backlog of colour codes to update.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47418.msg266821.html#msg266821

Technically post war Monart pieces did not have a colour code, as once Monart restarted production in 1947 the colour code was discontinued from the label.
Though many post war pieces had similar colour schemes to pre war pieces.
I believe your bowl is a pre war piece, for two reasons. The first is, the type of base and pontil finish is indicative of a pre war finish. The second (my  personal view), Paul was much more conservative than Salvador (Monart period) in the use of colour schemes.
Your bowl's colour shceme is Salvador at his creative best.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
 :)

Production of such a delicate and thin piece of glass containing so many glorious bubbles as well as the colours speaks of tremendous mastery of glassmaking, particularly given the very primitive facilities and the poorer quality of metal they could get hold of at that time.

The didn't have all the advantages of superior glass recipes and modern technology!

Add that to Salvador's artistry.  8) 8) 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »

No Roberta I am not in charge of colour cataloguing for Ysart Glass. 

That was said tongue in cheek Gary!
I also thought it was pre war too!

Re Chopins "delicate and thin piece of glass" - I never think of Monart like that - to me it's glass with substance, not like some where you feel it will break as soon as look at it!

P.S. Gary - did you buy anything today?

Roberta
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
My bowl is only 3 mm thick.

That accommodates both the bubbles and the polished out pontil scar on the base!

It is an incredibly fragile and delicate thing, although most Monart is somewhat more substantial.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:08:30 PM »
Wow, that must be really something, what shape is it?
The smallest thing I have is a 4" ashtray which although thinner isn't quite delicate, and hardly any bubbles!
Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »
P.S. Gary - did you buy anything today?
I did buy a piece of Monart yesterday, not manage to take photos of it yet. Will post them in an new thread
Below is a link to the auction house with some images of the shape ZK I purchased. An interesting description !! the auction house give the piece.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/lindsay-burns-and-company/catalogue-id-2898785/lot-21842339
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand