No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monogrammed glass  (Read 720 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Monogrammed glass
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
I bought a pair of glasses in a German auction. They are exactly the same patter but one is bigger than the other. Their rims are gilded and the bowls are engraved with a monogram this monogram consists of the intertwined letters F and R along with the Roman numerals III below a crown.

Could this have been made for Kaiser Frederick III who reigned for a few short months in 1888?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
Re: Monogrammed glass
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi, it certainly looks like his monorgam... Look at the knifes at the end of this site: http://www.berlinerschloss.org/
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
Mat

Many thanks - you are a genius. How on earth did you find that?

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
Not a genius, just luck. I had searched for monograms of the Prussian Kings some time ago, when I tried to identify some KPM porcelain plates with a monogram on their backside. That was when I saw this site.  ;)

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
Hi Mat,

I have another glass, probably Thuringian, with a similar but not exact match to the letters on the aforementioned glass.  It has what appears to be a "W" instead of a "III" but the letters "FR" are the same.  Did your research indicate any meaning for this combination?

Neil

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
Frederick William?

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:16:54 AM »
Hi Stuart, yes, that was my first thought but I would have expected the "F" and "W" to be the bigger letters and the R to be smaller. Also, the glass probably dates from c1750 which would make it Frederick Wilhelm II and I would have expected it to have the "II" somewhere.  It could be earlier or a commemorative glass for Frederick Wilhelm I but it doesn't feel right.  I'll keep looking, but you are probably right!  Thuringia (parts of) belonged to Greater Prussia at the time so a Thuringian glass for a Prussian King makes sense.

Best wishes
Neil

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
Hi Neil,
I think the Monogram is for a Friedrich Wilhelm, but the monograms of Friedrich Wilhelm II (1786-1797) and Friedrich Wilhelm III (1797-1840) look quite similar to the one of Friedrich Wilhelm I. (search on google for "Friedrich Wilhelm II or III Monogramm", you will find some coins of these kings with their monogram), and usually show no number. So could your glass date a bit later, maybe in the period of the reign of Friedrich Wilhelm II ? My porcelain plates were made in the 1830s, they can be dated by the porcelain mark, and they have nearly the same monogram as your glass...
Mat

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Double header - both Mat and Peter right on the money!  Thanks guys.  I didn't feel the glass was early enough to be for FW I and the two sets of references show that the letters may equally refer to II or III and from the metal and style I would say it is most likely FW II.  Appreciate it! 

BTW, sorry not to have had much of a chance to chat at the Glass Fair Peter.  I hope that you ended up with sufficient clear space in your display cabinet to have made it worthwhile.  I spent a few minutes lusting after some of the glass you had there.

Best wishes
Neil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand