No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help With Strange Gilt Glass - Beykoz or something else???  (Read 895 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Hello again,
I try to find out something about this glass. It is 13 cm high and has a cut decoration that is gilt, as you can see in the photos. On the foot it has a rough pontil mark and a lot of wear, and there are seeds in the glass. It rings quite well. My thought was that it is Beykoz and early 19th century, but I have not yet seen this "European" form of glass from Beykoz (ok, I have not seen too many examples, so maybe I just do not have enough knowledge...)? Or maybe it is something completely different? Thank you for any help you can give me!
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Help With Strange Gilt Glass - Beykoz or something else???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
I think the gilding looks a little too crude and would wonder if it is just gold paint done at a later date. Most Beykoz on-line looks more finely decorated but no reason that cruder versions were not made. I am not very familiar with Turkish glass yet, had started looking into it some time ago without a lot of progress but I do know there is some interesting glass history there.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Thank you Frank! Yes, the Beykoz glass on the internet has usually finer decoration. I do not think is is gold paint, but I could be wrong of course. I have a catalogue with a lot of Beykoz glass from a private collection now in the Benaki Museum in Athens, which I cannot find  any more  ??? . I remember that there were some pieces that were more "roughly" decorated in it. Hope I will discover it again somewhere in my bookshelves! However, there was no glass with a stem in it, and I have not seen any such Beykoz glass yet...
Regards, Mat

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »
Somewhere here I posted a link to a digitised book on Turkish glass history... a couple of years ago.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
That was a great link, Frank! It actually helped me identify another glass that I had shown here earlier. I had guessed it might be of Greek origin but in the catalogue such pieces are identified as Ottoman Beykoz ware and are called "spoon jar". I show it here again for reference...
Mat

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
Brilliant, it is an eyeopening book. It would be interesting to see any Greek glass you have too. In a separate thread for easy reference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand