No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles Tate & Co Opalescent Glass Fairy Night Light Shade RD 109531  (Read 853 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
For reference a Burtles Tate and Co white opalescent glass fairy night light shade.

The shade is well marked on the inside top of the rim with a backward Rd 109531 for 1st October 1888.

I have not seen one before and my first thoughts were Henry Greener as it was very brown and dirty when purchased.

Height just under 3" / 7.5cm

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you for showing this unusual piece, Roy. It is certainly the first example that I’ve ever seen.

I can see why you thought it might be by Greener at first – the pieces from their RD 160244 of 3 November 1890 have similar ‘bobbles’, and many of the pieces are seen in blue opalescent glass.

Neil Harris has a description, but no photo, of the fairy light at
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/burtles-tate-designs-by-date/burtles-tate-1886-1889

“1 OCTOBER 1888

Design Number

Description
Fairy light

A semi-circular piece, the glass is patterned with repeating circular holes”

except that what presumably appear to be holes on the design representation are actually domed protruberences.

Also referenced at
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/FairyLampDesignNumbers_All.html
as Ruf – 110, but again, no photo.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Thanks Fred

When I bought it was very dirty quite brown and I thought Henry Greener butterscotch opalescent . Turned out white when washed.

I have emailed Neil to let him know.

Roy

Offline neilh

• Members
Thanks Roy,

The original registration is in fact a photograph of the object, though being so old, somewhat unclear. It didn't look white or opalescent in the registration...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand