No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Mdina vase signed and dated 1975  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Large Mdina vase signed and dated 1975
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
Hi All.

Found this rather nice large 7" diameter x 6 1/2" tall, Mdina vase today, as you can see it is engraved to the base Mdina glass 1975 then has a signature. Other than Michael Harris's early pieces I've not seen another piece signed in this way and don't know of any of the glass makers there at the period other than Joseph Said.
Can anyone throw any light on this one? I think maybe I see a G and a P as the first two letters?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Large Mdina vase signed and dated 1975
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
Hi Nick - These large Ming globes are nice examples of Mid-seventies Mdina. The signature will be that of either Joesph Said as you suggest, or Eric Dobson who also signed pieces in full. I always find both signatures a little tricky to decipher, however, think yours is possibly that of Joesph Said. Sure Sue will confirm.  :)

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »
 :-[

Had to go and check my reference standards, you're right, Greg, Joseph Said.

Here are confirmed images of each.
1st is Said, 2nd is Dobson.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
Thanks very much to both of you, This is the first Mdina piece I've found both dated and signed despite checking many bases, and I was a little worried it had been added later.

Are many signed and dated? Is it only a certain period that was done?  Generally all I see is "Mdina" or a pain base. Also the nicest Mdina piece I've seen, I think,it will be staying for a while.

Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »
 ;D
Pure speculation, but when a date and/or a signature is there, it does tend to be on a somewhat top end of the range sort of thing.

The 17" two-tone amethyst and blue strapped bottles from the mid-'70s, these large Ming globe vases and Fish.

Dates tend to be early '70s - mid '80s, but mostly in the middle of that range.

The reference signatures I posted are on a Japanese Globe vase (Dobson) and a Fish (Said).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
Thanks Sue, I usually I usually only look for paperweights but I saw this from 20 feet across the aisle and it just really appealed, I think I' d have bought it even if it was unsigned & dated (at the price).

Also bought my 3rd Vasart miniature vase today, this could be dangerous ;D

Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I have two of these globes - they make a nice "pair" for display.
One is unmarked, one is dated and has a completely unidentified signature on it. I have the same unid'd signature on one of the "cube" solifleurs, one of my very nicest ones.

They are lovely in a window with the light coming through them - quite a different look to light reflecting off them.

There is a whole world of fascinating glass outside of paperweights Nick, be a devil and expand your horizons!  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
Don't get me wrong I like a lot of glass I see and would happily buy a lot of it if I knew more but I know little about it compared to paperweights. Today for instance I saw two pieces that I thought may have been Monart at reasonable prices but didn't really know.....
I got this down from £65 to £45 which I was happy with but have absolutely no idea if that was a good price or not, so,probably best to stick to what I know. I did find a very cheap Paul Ysart paperweight so that will offset any overpayment I may have made on this Mdina piece.

Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
I'm fairly sure I paid about £60 for each of mine, I reckon you did just fine. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand