No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tankard - how old?  (Read 482 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Tankard - how old?
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
I have this tankard for some time now and am not sure about it's age and origin? It is 13 cm high. There is no pontil mark on the bottom, but it looks like it has been put in sand or so... The walls have an optic effect that cannot be seen very well in the photos, it seems to be slightly ribbed, and around the rim and the foot are rows of dots. What Do you think about this tankard? I thought it should be 19th c because of the form of the handle?
Thank you very much,
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Re: Tankard - how old?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
I actually found a second one similar to the other example. This one is 13 cm high and is mould blown it has a decor that reminds of hanging curtains, which is only very lightly moulded. I hope it can be seen in one of the photos. The bottom has a round area that looks like it has been put in sand and around it a ring that reminds of a rough pontil mark. I am starting to think that these could be rather something like wine jugs than tankards, and maybe of local Greek production... Or does someone know where these were made? The characteristics are ok for a C19 dating, am I right?
Mat
P.S: My descriptions may sound sometimes a bit funny to the experts, I am still a beginner in glass collecting!  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand