No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: M&B wine glass,but by who ?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: M&B wine glass,but by who ?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
Hi Keith , sorry for the delay in replying, but I didn't know I was going to find this until recently . I would think it might well be by a local Stourbridge firm , if not then the locals would have walked out of the pub if they found they were drinking from imported glass !

There are quite a few examples of M&B glasses  on ebay etc.. Haven't seen a wine glass though.

Here is my example , it's 11.2 cm tall and is somewhat worn . It has been mould blown and expertly cut.  I think the ''Deers Leap'' trade mark might be sand blasted... also says 'Registered Trade Mark' .

Thanks for posting your wine ! :)
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Hello Mike, I don't think I've seen a cut  tumbler from a local brewer, very nice, I'll ask my brother if he's seen any, he's a bit of a local history buff, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
my earlier comments - in this thread - about the gadget mark being under the foot, now make me shudder with embarrassment - these roughly Y or T shaped scars are the remnants of where the shears severed the foot from the pontil rod.
The gadget mark proper - if it can be seen at all - is found on the upper side of the foot and in outline looks not unlike a horseshoe shape.

From the few examples I've seen of tumblers carrying ads. for a particular pub or hotel, it does seem that most of these images are sand blasted.              Sand blasting should be easy to separate from etching - the former usually looks far more gritty and shallow than the acid process.              The edges of sand blasted images appear far less sharp, usually.

I'd imagine that a lot of folk in the U.K. were drinking from imported glass in the first half of the C20 - although probably no reason for them to think - at that time - this should be the case.    Whether this situation was more likely to have affected the housewife consumer market, or the pub/hotel trade I've no idea.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
Thanks Keith & Paul  :)

I was wondering if your wine might pre-date their trade mark, Deers Leap (why isn't it there). If the stem isn't central to the bowl then it might be a second from one of the Stourbridge firms (if it's not imported ).

Cheers ,  Mike. 
Mike

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
Will have to look up the history of M&B , the stem is only a little off centre, I'd be surprised if it was for wine, maybe barley wine or something similar, can't say I remember seeing much wine for sale in local pubs years gone by, time for research I think  ;D ;D

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »
Yes , I'm sure you are right about that.... it's a barley wine and not a wine  :)

I used to work for Courage Brewery, in Bristol, many moons ago and they had an archives department full of old musty ledgers from all the small breweries they swallowed up, plus a whole load of old bottles of beer  and pub signs and much more besides . I would sneak off there as much as I could...no wonder I was the first to be made redundant  !

I'm sure if you had the time and inclination you could find a whole bunch of information , Bass might hold all the archives now (not at all sure about this though  :( ) ....good luck !...it would make a very interesting piece of research...to what extent did a local brewer/pub owner support the local glass industry ?...if at all !   ;)

Here is an example of an order confirmation from Thomas Webb & Sons , sent to a retailer in Boston (same year as the formation of M&B ) ...just to get you keen/going  !!  :D

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'm waiting for a reply from M&B, I'll let you know what turns up or not  ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand