No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stunning sky blue "knobbly" vase  (Read 1428 times)

Offline aps58

• Members
  • I'm always learning!
    • Whitefriars
    • England
Stunning sky blue "knobbly" vase
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
Have bought this beautiful vase, which was described as Whitefriars. It has been on sale for many years and the owner is now closing down. No-one wanted it so it deserved a good home.
Is not Whitefriars, nor is it Skrdlovice glass (checked by the wonderful Anik from czech.glass.collector).
It is 160mm tall and weighs just over 1kg.
The colour is sky blue at the bottom, terminating in a darker blue at the top with a 50mm opening. It is clear cased.
The base is slightly concave (35mm) with a small "landing".
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aps58

• Members
  • I'm always learning!
    • Whitefriars
    • England
Re: Stunning sky blue "knobbly" vase
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Has anyone any thoughts on this? Does the colour seem familiar? The pontil is 35mm diameter and the vase is approx 90mm diameter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
I have one very similar on my WF's shelf, looks like I might have to move it elsewhere, ::) ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
Liskeard?

Offline aps58

• Members
  • I'm always learning!
    • Whitefriars
    • England
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
Thank you all for looking. In my opinion, the colour is the key to solving this mystery.

I looked at Liskeard but it does not contain the logo on the base and the colour, for them, appears wrong.

The knobbly style may be compared with Liskeard or Whitefriars but I cannot directly attribute this vase to them.

The "tear-drops" on the bottom of the vase indicate Czech origins but the polished pontil, and again the colour, possibly discounts them.

Scottish? The colour may be closer to Kirkhill but is probably too sky blue for them.

I have listed the vase on Whitefriars.com as well.

So, thank you all so far but please keep looking and thinking. I cannot afford to have too many unknown vases in my collection as it drives me mad!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »
It looks like mid 1950's Skrdlovice to me. The colour and general feel are right, although I can't recall the exact pattern number. I'll look at the pattern books tomorrow.  My only reservation is that neither Robert and Anik have commented and they both usually beat me to it.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline aps58

• Members
  • I'm always learning!
    • Whitefriars
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:35:32 AM »
Before creating this posting I emailed Anik. She thought that it was not Skrdlovice due to the colour (obviously viewed on-line and not in person) and slight pontil. So, if you can find a pattern number or can confirm that the colour is correct then it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
It's really hard to tell from the pictures exactly what the shapes of the protrusions are...
Have they been tooled?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi. In my opinion the base finish, as a large polished pontil rod mark surrounded by a narrow polished circle indicates possible Scandinavian origins. I cannot remember if Aseda knobbly vases are all polished completely flat but there were other factories in Scandinavia making knobbly vases, i have seen one labelled Skansen that without a label would have assured me it was Skrdlovice but I did not see the base finish and it is possible that Skansen imported some glass perhaps for their factory shop. The base finish of this vase precludes Skrdlovice as a possibility and makes me think Scandinavian. The colour is also not very vintage Czech. This base finish, in my opinion hints at more a vintage European vase rather than modern Polish etc... I will be interested to read of a definite attribution.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
I thought the vase looked familiar and I remembered I had one exactly the same, which I had attributed to Zemek in 1955. However, I was wrong.  Robert is right about the base, which is the same on mine. Also, I put the vase next to my Zemek candleholders (definite) and clearly the wrong shade of blue. Finally, I compared to the other vase that I'm sure is Zemek 5530 and it's different. 

I've got a couple Aseda knobbly vases, and this one is different from them as well.  So I would say other Scandinavian. Skansen, not a name familiar to me, is one possibility, and Magnor is another.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand