No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Flair question.  (Read 2141 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb Flair question.
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Just seen this on ebay, see link, I've had this 'bowl' for a while and with the flat polished base didn't think it was part of the range until now, any thoughts please, ;D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-c1960s-large-THOMAS-WEBB-Cased-Amethyst-Blown-BUBBLE-Glass-FLAIR-VASE-/261484599836?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item3ce1b25a1c

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb Flair question.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
must admit Keith that all of my flair range pieces (mostly tall beaked vases with only one bowl) have the circular depression, and not a flat base, and amethyst not a colour I'd seen in the known range.
Doesn't appear the CH mentions this colour, but suppose there's always going to be smaller run items.
Other than that it does look to be o.k., but not my area, so will leave to you and David :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
 ???
"Flair" was made by sticking a wet poker into the glass - it wasn't blown. I can't see how this bowl would have been made with a wet stick, but perhaps is was just further manipulated to make the bowl shape, as a blown piece would have been.
I just don't feel it's quite right for "Flair".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
Just back from Holland!

As you know, I have quite a large collection, including the large bowl in ruby. I have also been following that other one on eBay, but the price is triple what I would be willing to pay. However, mine measures 13¾ (35cm) across, so quite a beast, but does not have a flat base. The amethyst colour I have seen and yours looks a little like Flair, but I'm also not sure.

One thing I do know is that there are some oddities in the Flair range. I am in touch occasionally with Peter Robinson who worked at Webb during the 1960s and he even has some of the pieces that didn't quite make it, or were experimental, or "mutants" as Peter calls them!  ;D I'll see if he wants to join in as I believe he's been on GMB before. It could be that yours is a mutant?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, so mutant it is, David, could you ask your friend to have a look at this one also, polished pontil mark on this one.... ::) ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »
That does look like Webb Flair to me. I will mail Peter tomorrow
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
I have seen an amber bowl with etched signature in a shop, I will try and get a photo. From memory the shape differs only slightly, perhaps it is a bit deeper than Keith's original post.

John

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
Flair can differ quite noticeably - sometimes radically - so there are normally obvious variances between the same styled item. I imagine your siting was the same style as Keith's. If the price is right, I might be interested, John!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
I think the price may not be right David, somewhere around ninety or a hundred I think it was. It is in a small antiques shop that stocks a remarkably wide range of interesting glass: http://www.granbyantiques.com/aboutus.html

I should be able to call in there tomorrow.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
Eek, items on eBay never reach those sums... Never mind, thanks anyway. The more I look at Keith's, the more I think it is Flair - probably not a mutant, but without the backstamp perhaps it was a second?

I've just mailed Peter, so his comments will be welcome.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand