No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large irridescent textured vase - ID = Peter Layton  (Read 1653 times)

Offline antiquecollectible

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
Large irridescent textured vase - ID = Peter Layton
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
Hello everybody

Although I have been a collector of various nice glass items over the years, I am relatively new to the internet and modern technology. I am hoping someone can help me to identify this lovely big vase I have in my collection as I have never managed to identify it and I would love to know where it came from so that I can hunt down and add some similar pieces to my collection.

Please help me with any information you have on the maker so that I can find some more shapes and sizes for my display.

I hope I have done this right and I am in the right section etc but please forgive me if I have made a mistake as I am still learning and I apologise in advance if I have done this wrong.

Best wishes

Offline Mostly Modern

• Members
    • bright colours
    • England
Re: Large irridescent textured vase please help find maker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
Hi  :) I am sorry but I don't know exactly who made your vase, maybe it would help if you added the dimensions of the vase? You mentioned it is large but exact dimensions would deffo help.
My instant hunch is possibly ditchfield, but please take that with a pinch of salt as I am by no means an expert in this area of glass, but that might give you somewhere to start.

I am sure there will be much more knowledgeable members along soon to give you a clearer idea, even if it is just a better guess.

Best of luck with your collection, it is a nice looking vase and I am sure your display will look great  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
Welcome both to the board. Not Ditchfield; I'd expect better finishing. The four-prong pontil rod might be a clue though

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
American studio producers may also be worth considering. I vaguely recall Ross recently suggesting Don Carlson in the US, who uses a four-prong pontil. Some of his work is similar so may be another avenue to explore.

Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
There's Norman Stuart-Clarke. He uses a four prong pontil rod.
I agree completely, not Ditchfield. I've just checked the bottoms of a couple of early one-off bits - large broken pontil scar. A large piece such as this would be marked if it was Ditchfield.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Mostly Modern

• Members
    • bright colours
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Christine, much appreciated :) I am new to the forum but been interested in glass for a while now.
I see what you mean about the finish and ditchfield and having had a look online I fully agree and it was a bit of a wild stab in the dark, sorry for the confusion.
As there is no census of conclusion so far, and I do like the look of your vase, I have done a bit of research for you Antiquecollectible.
The best guess I have after looking around for a while is that it could be either Norman Stuart (like Chopin suggested) or possibly even a rare Peter Layton vase on organic style (although I would expect that to be signed) or even a siddy langley???

I'm probably not helping but I have done my best for you :)

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »
Hello again

Many thanks for all your effort and advice it is much appreciated.

I am so sorry about this but as I was inspecting the finish after reading one of the earlier comments, I noticed a faint squiggle which I hadn't seen before.... A SIGNATURE! What a doofus!

Unfortunately I cannot make it out for the life of me, I couldn't even see it at first, so I have taken a close up picture and I hope you can tell me what it says or who it is?

Yours hopefully..........

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:45:54 PM »
That's Peter Layton's signature, the base finish is slightly unusual.

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
That's great thank you Greg, and thanks to mostly modern who also said it could be Peter Layton.
I have not heard of him before but I am going to be looking for some in the future it is a lovely finish to the vase.
Like you said it is very organic and has a beautiful spectrum of colours to the iridescent finish. The texture is like snakeskin and very tactile.
Is this kind of finish and colourway common to Peter Layton? as I would like to get some more similar for a display?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
There are quite a few examples of Peter's work on the GMB, if you enter his name into the search function at the top of the board, it should hopefully bring up a few.

The base finish appears somewhat unusual, compared to other pieces of his work I have handled that have been blown at London Glassblowing. Perhaps this may have been produced at a different time. London Glassblowing are always very helpful, I'm sure if you send them a few pictures, they will be able to tell you a little more detail.

http://www.londonglassblowing.co.uk/

Hope you enjoy the board.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand