No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vase with blue spiral  (Read 561 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
vase with blue spiral
« on: July 20, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
Last one for this weekend i promise,this little vase is 8cm high with what i take to be a machined blue spiral of glass,polished pontil with good wear to the base,in one of my books i've seen something similar with a tight spiral,although a very small poor photo,dating to 1900,it' has a high pitched ring and is light,anythoughts many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: vase with blue spiral
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
there seems to be a tendency to attribute these machine threaded pieces to Hodgetts, Richardson & Son (noticeably in auction catalogues), mainly I suppose because they were the first to patent a mechanical process in 1876, of applying the thread.      But others copied the invention in some form or another, so probably a non-starter to try and locate a maker for this one, or almost all of them come to that.
Gulliver shows several many examples, a few of which he attributes to Hodgetts, Richardson and Stevens & Williams on the basis that they match actual designs in the pattern books of those particular factories.

That said, the large quality depression under this one might just suggest Stuart - but it's only a suggestion and you'll never know for certain.
Blue was a common colour for threading, so no help there.

Finding one with a lozenge would be another way of positive attribution, but I don't know if any have been recorded with diamonds.

This one looks to be 'applied machine threading'  -  should be easy to find the beginning and end of the thread - sometimes small lengths go missing/fall off.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: vase with blue spiral
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
Thanks Paul,at first i thought i thought the spiral was intact,however there is a hint that the strand  carried on to the main body finishing 5mm or so from the neck,you can see the spiral on the top of the rim,but it's not in relief and seems to be in the glass,the rim is also thicker on one side than the other something to do withe the process i would imagine

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand