No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beer goblet with coralene hops decor  (Read 426 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Beer goblet with coralene hops decor
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
A goblet containing 1/3rd liter must be for beer, and what looked at first like vines are actually hops. I have seen this type of mechanically made goblet before, they seem to be from the 1930s. The decoration, however, is done in tiny glass beads melted onto the surface and I have not come across this 'coralene' decoration for what is in essence bar- or table ware.
Anyone?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Beer goblet with coralene hops decor
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
I think that enamel was referred to as an "ice" decoration. several of the companies that made enamels and paints for glass decorating made this. It was made of small pieces of frit that did not fuse together. It could be silkscreened on to the surface and then fired. I used to have a bottle of it and may still have it on a shelf somewhere.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
Tiffin tried this in the early 30s & discontinued it supposedly within 10 days on wines. They used the pattern of an etch, waxed the blank & "painted" the etched area with a solution like you have outlined & placed it in a higher temp lehr. Supposed to provide a better grip on the wine but turned out to be an unattractive mess. Every now & then one pops up on eBay.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
Several of the glass companies making lighting ware used this type of decoration. I got the "ice" I had from the old Sinclair Glass in Indiana. I Know Southwestern glass used this as did Super Glass and I have a friend that has a glass decorating company that may still do a little of this. These wares didn't necessitate that they be dishwasher safe, etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »
Thank you most sincerely - much appreciated..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand