No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A fine pair of Victorian hand painted enamelled vases for show  (Read 845 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
A really nice pair of Victorian hand painted enamelled vases. They seem to be better painted than a lot of these types of vases also being painted on the back.

The vases are decorated with brambles and fir trees, both have a bird a Jay and a Capercaillie.

Height 9"
Weight for both vases 1225gm
What I really like is that one has a very old key wedged inside the base.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: A fine pair of Victorian hand painted enamelled vases for show
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
Wedged key

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
Very well painted most are awful, I've got a few stinkers and a good blue uranium one, ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:26:02 AM »
very nice Roy  -  your choice or Carol's ;D          I suppose the key to these sorts of things is knowing which ones to buy and which to leave behind ;) ;)          Perhaps some WD40 might dislodge the metalwork.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »
Grate some raw onion and put the mush in the bottom and leave it to "soak".

Raw onion dissolves rust. It does it fairly slowly, you'll possibly need some changes of onion mush, but it will get rid of it.

Once the rust has gone, it should be a lot easier to get out.

This is a wonderful tip for old screws for lampshades etc. They can be cleaned up nearly as good as new. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
Thanks

Paul they were my choice I do like some of these types of vases. I bought them with a view to sell on but Carol has put a hold on that for the time being.

Sue I will try the raw onion and let you know how it goes, thank for the tip.

Roy

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
I would urge a little caution removing the key, I had a lovely Nouveau vase that had a lump of something rusting away and fused to the base. A couple of hours after I cleaned the vase and removed the metal a huge crack developed across the base and up the sides of the vase. I heard it go ping from the next room.

I think the problem may have been the fusing of the two materials and the stresses that built up over time. Once I removed the metal there was an imbalance and the crack was probably inevitable.

Given my wee horror story, the key does not look as though it has actually fused to the glass - if there is a little movement then of course it will not be. I have removed quite a few metal objects in similar circumstances, the key got in there without it being forced and if you can gently wiggle it around, with a bit of patience you should be able to remove it. The trick is finding the spot where the opening is slightly larger - they are never entirely consistent. The key found it's way in there and the process should be reversible.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
Unless it has "swollen" because of the rust. I really would persevere with onion mush until the rust has gone and the key has "shrunk".

The mush goes all dark brown and horrible - you can see how much gunk you are getting rid of. Change it when it has gone black.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand