No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett, Irene Stevens vase for show.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb Corbett, Irene Stevens vase for show.
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
Had just been reading about her in 20thCBG when I saw this, 10 inches tall, no chips or nibbles and fully marked, weighs a ton, the glass is one cm thick at the rim timeless design, well I think so, ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett, Irene Stevens vase for show.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
very impressive piece Keith - good find, and I agree a good design                    According to Benson and Hayhurst, Irene Stevens left Webb Corbett in 1957 although she remained a consultant until 1963, so I'm assuming this design was  created some years prior to 1968, but not entirely sure.
Those outlined ovals are reminiscent of Kny's well known leaf motive, and which was copied again much later by John Luxton.

Surely this is going to bring 'that' shelf down ;) ;)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
Thanks Paul, the one in 20th CBG is dated '67 so I presume from the text and picture that that was when it was first done, I presume.. ::) ;D put it on a different shelf !

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
Nice find and good photo's. Thanks for sharing Keith  :)

There's a series of these really thick walled pieces..........so here's to another collection  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
yes, I've also seen that CH's examples was dated 1967, although in view of Nigel's written comments detailing Irene Stevens departure from Webb Corbett, I was still assuming that the date of this design was earlier.

If Nigel has the time, perhaps he might comment - and I hope the new shelf can take the weight ;)

Do you ever consider clear pieces such as this against a darker background  -  I can never get pix with good contrast using a pale background. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks both, I did try with black card but my 'moody' camera refused to focus, might just be me though  ::) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand