No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk paperweights: Harlequin, Pierrot, Carousel  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Selkirk paperweights: Harlequin, Pierrot, Carousel
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
In connection with For show - Colin Terris LE paperweight several Selkirk weights were mentioned - attached are images for comparison:

A first "Harlequin" (unlimited) was issued in 1979 - very much in "Paul Ysart style".

A completely different design was given the same name in 1995 (again unlimited).

Pierrot (unlimited) was first issued in Blue in 1995 - Crimson and Gold followed in 1999.

Carousel (LE 500) was issued in 1985.

Cartouche was also mentioned - this is a Caithness weight - see Scotland's Glass.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Selkirk paperweight: Blue Carousel
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Finally  "Blue  Carousel" (LE 500), designed by Kenneth Scott was issued in 2002.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Selkirk paperweights: Harlequin, Pierrot, Carousel
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
Thank you so much for all your effort and work sorting out and illustrating all the weights mentioned, Wuff!

Now, the weight I was referring to (in the same shop as I got the Damson fountain) as Harlequin, which is written on the base of the weight, IS Pierrot.

It must have the wrong name written on it. It is absolutely NOT Harlequin, it IS Pierrot.

If I can get out to the shop again in the nearish future and the weight is still there, I will take a picture if the shopkeeper will let me. I think it's likely he will.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
If I can get out to the shop again in the nearish future and the weight is still there, I will take a picture if the shopkeeper will let me. I think it's likely he will.
Whilst incorrect signatures are a sort of oddity, they do happen - and it would be nice to get images of the weight as such and the signature: we don't put that on Scotland's Glass - but it is nice to have it documented.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
It's the sort of thing that can cause a lot of confusion (it has, between Christine and myself recently!), so yes, it is good to have these oddities documented somewhere! All I need to do is remember to take the camera with me - and hope the weight is still there.  :)
Being in Scotland, I do see a fair number of Selkirk weights around, but knowing nothing about weights, I never know whether or not to get them for other folk.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand