No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed clear possible comport.  (Read 488 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pressed clear possible comport.
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
Am certain I've had something else with this pressed design  -  but almost all now given away, and seems possibly I didn't photograph whatever it was.
Have looked in books and the Board's Registered designs but don't see it - so hoping someone can remind me of the details  -  it's unmarked  -  about 4.5" tall and roughly 6.5"  x  4.5", and as you'd expect from an oval shape there appear to be only two mould seams.

Much wear typical of something from the C19, and some small white stones.     The shape doesn't really have a counterpart in Silber & Fleming, although it may well just be an unusual comport - the dish part is very shallow.

All suggestion received gratefully. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline EAPG

• Members
Re: pressed clear possible comport.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
I have the same piece, it's flint glass, not American although it appears in American reference books, comes in other forms, and was also made in ruby stain.  I'm guessing it's a jelly compote. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
thanks for your thoughts, although not sure I understand your use, in this instance, of the expression 'flint'  -  a description originating from a time when flints were used instead of sand  -  C19 and earlier.

Are you using the word simply to mean clear glass, or lead glass??             This is a distinctive pattern, and you may well be correct in suggesting a jelly comport.             Mine isn't lead composition, and in view of the wear and seeds I'd have thought was made in the latter part of the C19.

I assume, presumably, that your American reference books make no mention of a factory?    thanks again. :)

Offline EAPG

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
Flint (leaded) as different from soda-lime.  It's in inventory as flint but the fact that since that old entry I've see the ruby-stained piece, it appears to be an error on my part.  Of course yours could be called crystal, since it's colorless.  I agree that it's the latter part of the 19th C.  Canadian sources attribute it to Burlington Glass Works based on shards, but that's invalid, sadly, they use shards for a lot of attributions, when most were probably used as cullet.  Burlington was a bottle factory, not known for tableware, so most if not all those attributions are mistaken.  England is the better choice.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
probably now buying back my own donated glass - this piece may well be the original dish I gave away - or at least it's very similar.

Identical pattern and again no marks  -  plenty of wear and large stone or two -  length is about 8" (200 mm).        .....   This time I'll keep both pieces just in case.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:37:22 AM »
I have the same bowl Paul - again, no marks on mine.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
If it was a British design it's looking increasingly unlikely that it was Registered Anne - and I've also looked at all of my National Archive pix without success - it may indeed have been from the States or the Continent.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for an id some time. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand