No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall neck Bottle Vase Blue & White Cased  (Read 498 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Tall neck Bottle Vase Blue & White Cased
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
Is anyone able to offer an ID, please for this bottle vase with an almost comically oversized neck? White cased with pale blue, 14 1/2" of which the accounts for 8 1/4". Good amount of wear on the base ring so some age to it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Re: Tall neck Bottle Vase Blue & White Cased
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Check out my 'Polish by Alicja?' post on page 4 of Glass forum (I don't know how to do a link).
[Mod: Link is this one ... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,57570.msg326348.html#msg326348 ]

Looks a bit like this, although mine has a swirly bottom with no wear and yours looks as though it has a flat bottom with - you say - some wear. I have a Zbigniew Horbowy vase with a bottom similar to yours though (well, it isn't 'swirly' but it's a bit wobbly). Yours does look a bit Polish to me. I suppose it could be Scandinavian?

I don't know if the Chinese make vases like this or not (yawn...I seem to say that about quite a lot of vases these days). I've just got this yellow one - 440mm - and I don't know where it comes from. It also has a 'swirly' bottom. TkMaxx, Ikea? I don't get out much...

Here's my unknown possibly Polish tall vase (with a white cased interior), and the bottom of my Zbigniew Horbowy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
My initial response was Scandinavian (the vase, not the response) and I would never, ever have considered Poland as a possibility. I would imagine that many countries not traditionally associated with glass have produced interesting stuff over the years although I would also imagine that more hardline Eastern Bloc countries would probably not have encouraged anything other than utilitarian glass production due to art glass being perceived as too decadent.  Or is that a typically jaundiced Western perspective? Whatever the case, I suspect that I'll never discover this vase's producer.

Thanks for your suggestion and introduction to Zbigniew Horbowy - had never heard of him until now.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »
Hoody boody smorgasbord! (I'm virtually fluent in Swedish). The design does have some Scandi elements to it but then over the decades it would seem glass designers are no respecters of originality. Like most designers they have always had to come up with whatever sells best. I still like the idea of Alicja, but then there are probably many other Polish producers.

Another possibility is of course Italian. There seem to be some vases of this type of design on Ebay listed as 'Empoli', a glass producing town in Tuscany. Art of Glass has one for sale at the moment which is similar (especially the bottom), and I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. I don't think I own any Empoli glass though, so have nothing to compare with. As I've now ramped you back to the top of the 'Glass' board (like a smorgasbord but not quite the same) perhaps somebody with a lot more knowledge than me will identify your vase....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand