No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian-Edwardian English footed item?  (Read 533 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Victorian-Edwardian English footed item?
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
Hi everyone. I was trawling the archive to try to find information on this piece, not exciting but still a reasonable looking thing......  considering its age. If anyone can confirm the correct description or use for this, I would appreciate it. It is 11cm diameter and 11cm tall. I am sure it is quite a common type of thing but I thought I would ask. It is much much bigger than the Victorian drinking glasses of various shapes I have. Is it a dessert bowl? The engraving appears to have gone over an air bubble in the vain hope of disguising it... it is made of quite old fashioned grey glass..........

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian-Edwardian English footed item?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
my suggestion would be that it was designed as a sugar - and probably dates to somewhere around the 1890 - 1910 period based on the shears mark that can be seen under the foot - so you were more or less spot on with age.
You don't mention wear - utility items such as sugars would normally show a fair amount - unless it remained in the display cabinet and was hardly used :).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »
I don't think it's that old; more like 1930s or even later from the engraving style. I have a set of these small dessert bowls with what looks like the same design but without the rim cutting. The grey probably means its been kept in sunlight. 11 cm is more likely a dessert bowl
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=2063
I also have similar designs with leaves and berries. http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1146 My instinct is that these are generally Czech

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
yes, you're quite right I'm sure - serves me right for not looking carefully enough at Robert's details on the size. :)
I'm not sure about the life span on the shears mark, although we'd probably agree that it started life late in the C19 - the shallow wheel engraving may well be later than I suggested.

I'll start again then ........    high quality photos Robert.......     ;)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
Thanks both. I think my piece looks of heavier construction, with a much smaller foot than those posted by Christine but there are strong similarities. As Chriostine notes, the size probably suggests dessert, though it is a really strange idea for me to consider eating from such a thick glass thing today, my bowl is really just like like a Victorian rummer in terms of construction, glass thickness etc! Thanks Paul for the photo compliment, I just to adjust the surroundings, lighting and surfaces until the glass looks acceptable....... thanks again both,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:36:12 AM »
Yes yours is definitely a chunkier construction

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand