No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Venice / Bohemian / Rumanian Amber Decanter & Glasses - Help Please  (Read 549 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Hi All.  Hope someone can help with this piece (age / origin).  A decanter and 6 glasses - amber glass with an embossed gold enamelled(?) rose and leaves on the decanter and leaves on the glasses.  I think it has been blown - the base of the glasses and the decanter look as if they have been polished (excuse my poor photography of the bases but its the best I can do).  Nice ring when you tap the glasses.  The decanter weighs almost 700 gms without the stopper and measures 31 cms tall x 9 cms in diameter at the widest point.  The stopper weighs 150 gms and measures 13.5 cms tall and almost 3 cms in diameter at the widest part.  The glasses weigh 50 gms and measure 7.5 cms tall x 5 cms in diameter at the widest part.  I think it could be 1960's but that is simply a guess.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I have added 4 images on this post and have also added a further 4 on a reply but if anyone wants more please let me know and I'll add others as requested

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
And a further 4 images

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Typical Borske Sklo (Czech) I would say

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
I thought it might be and was looking for some confirmation.  But I've just had another look at my description and I didn't point out that the base looks as if there is a polished pontil which made me uncertain as to it being Borske Sklo as I didn't think they produced blown glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Borsko Sklo was blown glass! You can't press a decanter. You can't press something narrower at the top than at the bottom because you can't get the plunger out. Because this has been hot finished at the rim to make a lip. the pontil rod will have been attached at the top. If the rim was cut and polished, that would have been where the pontil rod was cracked off.

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Thanks - one more for the knowledge bank! Much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand