No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VERY LARGE but not that heavy...?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
VERY LARGE but not that heavy...?
« on: September 18, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Ok, another large vase. This is 500mm tall and one of a pair. Not massively heavy or thick glass, cased white inside. Has some bits of copper coloured aventurene. Nice colours. The bottom has been ground with a matte finish and does have a matte ground pontil (I hardly want to say this but I just have, I can't deny it - you can see it in the picture).

My only hope here that it is maybe not (for a change) Ch****e is that it is not as heavy as one might expect. I've not been able to find anything similar. Maybe another one of those mysterious non Murano 'Murano' vases made in Italy? Any opinions welcome.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
Re: VERY LARGE but not that heavy...?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
If anybody wants to tell me it's Chinese I don't mind! I won't be too upset. Still a nice pair of vases from a decorative point of view.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »
Looks Chinese to me. ::)
Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Thanks for your opinion Tony, obviously not what I was hoping for but I can't get away from the fact that the bottom has the matte, ground finish and matte pontil which seems to be a feature of Chinese vases. Not a lot of wear on the base either.

My only hope was that the weight doesn't seem as weighty as I would expect from Chinese. The aventurene bits seems to be an Italian, Chinese or South American feature which I've seen quite often on (usually) larger vases. I'm aware of the Dale Tiffany and Anne Primrose vases which seem widespead in the US, which appear to originate from Brazil and China. Hmm :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand