No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on Greek Lipasmata Works  (Read 1467 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Info on Greek Lipasmata Works
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Hi,
I do not know if this is the right place for this post, as it is no identification request, but I did not know where else to put it. As I have seen some requests about the Greek Lipasmata Works in this forum ( http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27881.msg151862.html#msg151862http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54610.msg309465.html#msg309465 ) I would like to give some information on them that is otherwise only available in Greek language. Lipasmata Works were located in Drapetsona near Piraeus harbour. They started as a company producing mainly fertilizer (lipasma) in 1909. From 1914 on they started also producing glass, but during WWI it seems the amount of glass that was produced was not very big, but after the war production started on a bigger scale. They made mainly bottles, glass windows but also glassware for everyday use. In the 1930s they had 1200 people in their glassworks, 300 of them specialized glass workers. In the 1930s they started also having a department of art glass, that produced glasswares in many styles. Famous were their "Archaic Cups" (archaika kypella), that were inspired by ancient greek vase ornaments. These won prices in the World Exhibition in Paris 1937 and in the 1939 World's Fair in New York. During World War II there was not much production, but after the war the art department resumed it's work. From the end of the 1980s on the company had a crisis, and it finally closed in 1999. Just to add, glass signed "Oxial" (Οξυαλ) was also made by the Lipasmata Works.
Mat  :)

I have one of their "archaic cups" attached here as an example. It seems it was treated with fluorite to give it an "ancient" appearance. Ι am not sure if the is before or after WWII.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Info on Greek Lipasmata Works
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Thanks Mat, great info.

I have added a link to this thread from each of the other two you have mentioned. Maybe we will need to put this thread into the Archives section?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Re: Info on Greek Lipasmata Works
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Hi, yes, of course, that seems to be the better place!
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand