No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart IG bowl for show  (Read 907 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Monart IG bowl for show
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Hi,

My latest is a Monart bowl shape IG size IV - at 12" diameter quite a size.

It has some damage to the foot but I just loved the decoration  - bubbles are one of my favourite Monart decors.
Now I think, but this is only my opinion -  nothing to substantiate this, that this could be pre-war by Salvador Ysart. I think he was more artistic with the decor, but not necessarily as technically perfect! (someone will probably come along and shoot me down on this  ;D)

Anyway - I love it and it looks great on display - the photos don't really do it justice!
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart IG bowl for show
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
What a spectacular colour scheme which looks much better in a large bowl (like your one Roberta) than in a vase.
In my opinion it is a pre war piece with the colour code 317.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
It's spectacular. I can "see" a Schneider-y (and WMF Ikora-y) sort of atmosphere in it, it just SCREAMS old, and of a quality almost unattainable nowadays.
Difficult thing to display well, though.

I hope your house is enormous, Roberta!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
The comments about WMF / Schneider made me think of a shape DF bowl I own, it's 12" across and has what I think an early pontil mark.     When you look close up at the centre of the bowl you can view bits of black - showing what poor quality glass they used.

The colours are really unusual, has that green tinge in the stripes with bubbles but it's the edge that is really interesting, whorls in red and a hint of orange/yellow.  Enjoy

Mary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
Ooh - that's gorgeous too!  ;D

That's the thing I love about Monart - it isn't all the "typical" schemes with black and aventurine at the rim, with or without whorls; its all the different combinations and use of colour and pattern and bubbles to create this vast range of wonderful combinations, and coming across things I haven't seen before!

I have mine displayed on a stand so it is almost upright in a lit cabinet.
My OH says I can only have glass that fits in the cabinets, so I sneaked in another one (3 in total) and now have several pieces displayed on each shelf instead on just one or two!
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
I've got steps built onto my shelves, so that (nearly) each one has two or three levels I can put glass onto, the steps at the back raising the glass there, above the bits at the front.

But Michael won't let me have any lighting on it.  :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
I got some LED strips from Ikea which stick to the edge of the shelf and spent ages taping all the wires up neatly - it was well worth it though - the glass looks so much nicer lit and now we just have the cabinets on at night instead of lamps!

I am thinking I need some "steps" to get more glass in - you can get those clear perspex ones which I think are for your kitchen cupboards - will have to put those on my wish list  ;D ;D
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand