No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please - does anyone know anything about these Mdina numbers on base  (Read 2556 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Hi All.  Can anyone help with this small Mdina vase.  Good MDINA mark on the base but also 4 digits - could be 8516 or BS16 or some kind of interlocked OOS (or 5) 16.  I think this comes under the Sea & Sand design range but would anyone like to confirm that.  Also anyone ideas of date?

It measures 3 inches tall x 2.75 inches in diameter at the widest part (7.5 cms x 7 cms) and weighs 320 gms.

Any help much appreciated

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help Please - does anyone know anything about these Mdina numbers on base
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
This isn't "Sea and Sand", which is a design of a yellow frothy body with a random band of Tiger around the middle. (Pic. posted to illustrate.)
I don't know the name for this design - it might be on their current website, though. The use of foil on Mdina is a "later" thing - possibly into the '90s and later, the blue is the later deep jewell-like blue rather than the early teal.
I don't have a clue about the numbers inscribed. Inscribed numbers on the base are something that appear on things from approximately mid-late'80s, into the '90s.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
Thanks - much appreciated - I'll check out the later designs of Mdina for dating

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
I should have posted this for you. :-[

https://www.mdinaglass.com.mt/en/home.htm

I can't find the foiled range there at all. Perhaps you could write to them to ask? They might be able to tell you what the numbers mean too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
I've just found this from a Miller's guide that points towards 1980's for the foil type of design but not the shape.  Also after looking at the Mdina web site I'm beginning to wonder if this is a perfume bottle less it's stopper?

http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/103779/1980s-mdina-glass-side-stripe/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
I've just tracked mine down. Mine is a "perfume bottle", (it's really rather too big to be a true perfume. I think this is just a name commonly used for contemporary decorative bottles, nowadays) and the inside of the neck is ground to fit the stopper.
It is teal rather than cobalt; the stopper has a teal internal part with silver chloride-ed yellow streaks, cased in clear.
If the inside of the neck of yours is ground, then it is missing a stopper, if it isn't, it's not. ;D

Yours looks more like a posy vase shape than my "perfume" bottle, mine has vertical sides, while yours flare out at the top.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Not ground so as you say not a perfume bottle. So a 'bud' or 'posy' vase?  1980's/1990's?  But all-in-all not bad for a £1 find in a charity shop in Yorkshire.  I've also just read on a post in Mdina glass from Mark Hill that the numbering system found on pieces apparently does not really mean anything (I've lost the link - doh!)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
Not anything we have been able to decipher anyway... ;D

John

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »