No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Closepack Millefiori - Uranium Glass canes? ID = Strathearn Glass  (Read 5212 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
this close pack millefiori paperweight has recently came into my possession. at first glimpse i assumed it was a Strathearn piece.but upon closer inspection it has a few signs which make me wonder if it is something else possibly c1850's?

Firstly to feel and look of the clear glass section, this has a lead glass based look and a number of air bubbles. which is consistent in Victorian glass

secondly there are some unusual Canes in this weight, a few glow and look to be Uranium glass. however i have not tested them under UV light.

lastly the overall wear it has excessive scratching especially to the base. the centre pontil appears polished with the surround rather worn. overall the wear is similar to c1850's paperweights i have owned before.

overall it is a very tactile and beautifully made weight.
if anyone could Help with an ID i would very much appreciate it.
kind regards steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Early Closepack Millefiori - Uranium Glass canes? ID please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
It is a standard Strathearn Glass closepack weight made somewhere between 1964 and 1980. At the Strathearn works, a lead-based batch was used. Unlikely that there is any "uranium glass" involved.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Early Closepack Millefiori - Uranium Glass canes? ID = Strathearn Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:51:45 AM »
ok thank you for the information, it does not really show in the photos, but the greenish canes certainly do glow like uranium glass. this piece is certainly different to some stand strathearn closepacks i have owned in the past.
kind regards steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand