No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue enclosed bubble vase help please.  (Read 679 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Blue enclosed bubble vase help please.
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »
Another i'm stuck on, i have been through 5 book and the internet and can not find anything similar. It has some wear to the base and an unusual circular mark on the base and the remains of the pontil, it does not look polished. The bubbles in the glass are almost the entire width of the glass, it's a beautiful piece of glass to look at.

It's 3 3/4 inches in height and 2 1/2 inches across the base.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Blue enclosed bubble vase help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »
Nice, kind of Victorian looking.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:49:47 PM »
I put this on here a while ago, i'm wondering if it's by Ercole Barovier from the Efso series, there is something similar on page 340 of Attilia Dorigato Murano Island of glass and here on this link.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/lighting/table-lamps/rare-pair-of-blue-efeso-murano-lamps-ercole-barovier/id-f_345185/
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »
I think the unusual circular mark on the base is in fact the remains of the pontil scar  -  seem to recall we've discussed this before.      Have a feeling that Continental workers use/used a hollow pontil rod as opposed to the solid type used in the U.K.   -   the hollow rod leaves a larger diameter scar, but one which doesn't need grinding down afterwards.
Anyway, probably gives support to having been made outside the U.K.

At least I think that's what it is  -  could be way wrong ;D

Sorry, but can't help with attribution  -  like the blue though.         Wouldn't be one of those Dutch faux antique looking pieces I wonder - was one of them called Antiqua?      One of their characteristic features was the large, irregular and flat bubbles, quite massive some of them (the bubbles I mean).
Ivo will know what they are called  -  although I seem to remember most were some shade of brown.

my pc about to give up the ghost and running very slow, so can't flick around the web to investigate at the moment.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »
There is more than one of these, an identical shaped one is sitting in an antique shop in Crewkerne Dorset, same shape and size which makes me think it's part of a series of certain shapes for a production of some sorts, looking back I should have picked it up it was only cheap but having one already I could not see the point.
Chris Parry

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
I've got a vase with a very similar shape, (a bit more "Jack in the Pulpit" though ) and about the same height. It's design is very different ----just plain blue ( but similar to the blue of your vase)
It also has a circular mark on the base (which is a pushed up one) with what initially looked like a load of squiggles.
In the end however I managed to decipher the word Scilly!
Could yours be a Scilly Glass piece----Crewkerne isn't a million miles away from the Isles.
Just a thought----I'm sure I'm way off target!
Scott

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »
Looks like modernish studio glass to me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand