No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling for show.  (Read 988 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Jobling for show.
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
In 20th CBG, c.1934 with a tiny nibble to the rim, more cream than white, makes a change from Royal Brierley !

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling for show.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
very nice Keith :)

It looks to be something which Jobling called a Lambton vase, and as was usual with many of their pieces it came in a variety of colours including Opalique, although Baker & Crowe don't mention opaque white  -  I assume yours isn't opalescent.       According to the catalogue the size was 11.5"  x  6", and there was a black plinth base made, it appears, especially for the vase  -  factory No. 2535L, and available in pink, blue, green and amber plus satin finish plus the obligatory black.            The vase on it's own had the Jobling Catalogue reference No. B1 - and for which it is known that the original plaster model was made by Franckhauser.
In addition, if you had £1 - 3 - 6d. to spare, you could buy the factory conversion to 'Electric Table Lamp'  -  which I suspect is now worth a great deal more. 
Unusually, to my mind, the catalogue also comments that this vase was available in flint, bit odd since most Jobling glass is coloured or opalique.

What the origin of the name Lambton was I've no idea, but according to the catalogue it was given, confusingly, to two different decorative designs  -  one called a bird pattern and the other a rose pattern (Board of Trade Rd. Nos. 787871 and 787872, both Registered on 15th November 1933). 

Baker & Crowe list this particular shape/design as one of the few items (at least it was in 1985 when the catalogue was produced), as being without a listed Rd. No. - although it's possible that this may be accounted for by what may have been the already Registered 'Rose Pattern' in bowl form - see above.

I've quoted from the Baker & Crowe catalogue only, since I know less than nothing about Jobling, but we do  have folk here who know vastly more, so fingers crossed they will be able to put some flesh on the bones.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is a scarce item  -  well done - very nice, and I'm green. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
Thanks Paul, some of the info' you gave is also in 20th CBG, stands out from the other pieces I've put it with, according to said book it cost 4s 6d back in the 30s I may have paid a tad more ! ::) ;D ;D

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »
Very nice and certainly a scarce item as Paul has suggested.  The colour is 'Pearl', a.k.a. 'Moonstone Opal', a white opaque glass apparently originally developed for lighting but used for some art glass range pieces in the early years of production. Pearl isn't mentioned in the 1934 catalogue, suggesting it had been discontinued by then (or maybe was only used for special commissions).

If you ever want to sell, let me know. This vase would look lovely as a complement to my jet example  ;).

Steven

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
thanks Steven  -  if I'd had brain in gear would have seen that Baker & Crowe do mention this lighting related colour called Pearl, although they don't appear to show this anywhere in their catalogue.
Think we are all very envious of Keith with this one. ;D
Will keep an eye out for a plinth for you Keith.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
Thanks both, sorry Steven it's already made itself at home, ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
.............and this is what, Keith  -  the twenty fifth shelf ;D

Offline keith

• Members