No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with maker please  (Read 941 times)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Help with maker please
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Hello.  Can anyone help ID the maker of this vase.  It has classical ladies around the middle.  I was thinking fro m the form of the  base and the top rim that it may be by Jobling?  I cannot find a reg mark. 

Any ideas I would be most grateful.     Thanks very much   Mark.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help with maker please
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
Hi Mark .........     not Jobling as far as I'm aware, nor Bagley that I can see, and can't see it on Pamela's presglass-pavillon.
Have you tried the torch  -  assume it is uranium.     Unusual foot support.

What is the height please??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
Used to own one of these in a pink or peach colour from memory, never managed to pin down a maker at the time. However, vaguely, recall one recently attributed to Sowerby, although not sure what evidence this was based on. I'll try to dig out a picture of my example, when I get a moment.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
don't recall it being Sowerby - but they did a vast amount.            I'll look at their CD catalogue tomorrow, unless someone pips me to it.

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
Hello.  Thanks for your thougnts.  And it is highly reactive to UV and iot is as you cvan see that slightly yellowish green of Sowerby and other Uk makers.

I have looked on the Sowerby CD that mI have but its not there b ut I only have Deco period

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Managed to dig out a photo of my example for reference and also a picture of the slightly unusual foot/support.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »
in that case probably not worth looking further into Sowerby, since it has that 1930's appearance.

this style of arched foot remindes a little of the base of a Hermanova (Czech.) vase on Pamela's presglass-pavillon - so possibly from that part of the world.

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts.   it matches joblings Uranium glass colour.  And they too made some unusual feet to their vases

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
great piece  -  and for those who may not know this is Jobling's butterfly and Panel vase, quite an expensive item in it's day, and I suspect now quite scarce.

Other than this piece I don't know that there are many that might be described as having unusual feet - certainly the 'Open-Footed Vase' with its rocket like base is unusual  -  although unsure about the reliability of making attributions when comparing  uranium colour, but you may well be correct.

The fact that Steven hasn't  commented may well be confirmation that this has nothing to do with Jobling.
Regret I've no idea whether Baker & Crowe show every Jobling pattern/design, or if there are some shapes, for whatever reason, not in their catalogue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand