No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oil lamp - Iridescent on Clear Ground - ID = Pauline Delaney  (Read 2583 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
Oil lamp - Iridescent on Clear Ground - ID = Pauline Delaney
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
Next please. What name?  ;D
Seriously, ID for cataloguing and members info..... much gratitude.

Probable Australian maker.
Nice teardrop shape, clear ground with ribbon like applied iridescent decoration.
Large size wick and quality brass wick holder.
Haven't used oil in this, wick and holder used in my large Wolfard lamp.

120mm H x 80mm Dia.

Problematic to get a good image of signature, no date? 
Seems lower half of script missing on first name due to curve in base.
May be able to do better in sunlight conditions, tomorrow.

Depressed pontil mark flame polished and a smiley face worked in !  :)
Funny... Who does that?

So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Oil lamp - Iridescent on Clear Ground - ID = ??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
The object could come from any one of a thousand glass artists around the world in the 1970s or 80s, but I think the signature says Pauline Delaney. She trained at Chisholm Institute (now Monash University, Caulfield) and at the Jam Factory in Adelaide 1980-84, was a key part of glassblowing at the Meat Market Craft Centre in Melbourne, and these days mostly does lampwork including running classes in bead making.

Pauline Delaney's signature is highly variable, and as you say the lower half of the first name on your example appears to be skipped. I thought the two examples below of her signature displayed bad hand writing, but yours is more extreme.

She has a website with contact details. Maybe you could ask her and report back?
http://www.paulinedelaney.com/

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:02:25 AM »
Thanks Trevor,
You are very sharp on these Aussie works mate.

Looks like it maybe her siggie when I look at it 'in hand' and perhaps I have 2 of her works.
The vase here has a very similar 'D' looking like an 'O' and 'P' looking like a 'D' .. but the correct number of letters [cryptic as they may be] to have her name fit.   The vase has a middle name letter of 'K' included. Thats dated 07.

Not a good image here of that. Prior to using colour pencil to highlight.

I'll send off an email to her soon, need to sort out a slow and sporadic crash computer issue here, if I can.

So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:18:14 AM »
She also sometimes signs 'Pauline K. Delaney' and adds the year. Here is an example from 1994 (I think).

Please show us the full signature on your item, and add some photos of the item itself.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Now, IMO, these are Pauline's works. The 'K' is easy to see clearly.
I'll send email to her to try to confirm later today.
Gotta say, I hadn't seen the connection between the two pieces prior, and that this signature had me stumped for a long time. That 'P' is how I form a capital D in my own signature, using an older form of cursive script than what we were taught in primary school during the 60's.

The 2nd piece:

Blue vase,
Applied [white,violet,blue,green] abstract flower decoration.
200mm H x 120mm Dia.
So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
Did you receive a response to your enquiry of Pauline Delaney? (Not that there is much doubt as to the identification.)

Trevor

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
Hi Trevor,

I did send an inquiry email via her web site contact form a day or two after you suggested, but no reply.

I've no doubt it is one of her works now.  [must get this tread title changed and moved to A NZ section too] Bit of house keeping in order here... couple of threads to update too.

I should try again.  There are other ways to contact and given I'm not all that far away, based in Melbourne, could take a few pieces back 'home' for a visit. 

So it goes.

Offline misha

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Also.... kinda associated to this oil burner.

I wonder where I can buy these wick holders AND if there would be risk in using them in all these perfume bottles I have that are missing the stoppers.
I have a large borosilicate oil lamp thats seen many hours of burn, using this brass and a borosilicate holder. Impressive look when adjusted correctly, bit wild and smoky if not.  But I've never burned in this that I assume is not boro.

Maybe it's easier to use these 'wanting' bottles as oil lamps, than try finding someone to supply or make a suitable stopper?

Thought about this today when I found a little old hand cut crystal perfume bottle with a silver plate fitting, missing the stopper or atomiser thingo. 
Figured I could either remove the metal and grind whatever is under that down and open hole to suit a brass wick holder or flame work some boro tube to make one to fit the existing metal collar... maybe. 

Thats about the limit of my glass work skill and confidence to resolve the World wide missing stopper problem, for myself at least. 

Perhaps then the bottles would have some functional purpose... not that I have any purpose for them as perfume storage or a titchy little vase. 
So it goes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand