No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Bohemian weight  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Bohemian weight
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »
not my area so apologies in advance if I get this all wrong.

My book tells me that this type of design is Bohemian and from the early part of the C20 - apparently called a 'crown' weight due to the shape of the uprights that are supposed to represent the outline of a crown.
Almost 70 mm high and with no attempt to remove the rough slightly projecting pontil scar, which causes the weight to sit lopsided, and with some wear to the base and very minimal scratches to the midriff.

Might this really be as old as suggested, or have crown weights like this been surfacing recently from more modern sources anyone know?             Thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: possible Bohemian weight
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
The term "crown" usually refers to a design with "arms" radiating down the outer parts of a clear glass weight.

The design with internal arms supporting bubbles is sometimes called "fountain" - e.g for Ysart examples from Scotland. But for general European examples, "Bohemian Spider" is the norm.

Your example, Paul, is very likely from  the Silesia  / Thuringia  / Bohemia / Czechoslovakia regions and yes, early 20th century or late 19th.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: possible Bohemian weight
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
thanks Kevin  -  'spider' does sound a little more appropriate - it made me think briefly of some mechanical monster from 'war of the worlds'.
It seems almost too clean to be that old, but no doubt been in someone's cabinet for quite some time, and will stay with me  -  I like old interesting pieces  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand