No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco bowl with plinth - ID = Century Glass, Edmonton, London  (Read 1275 times)

Offline VictorianLynn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
I have tried to identify this piece to no avail. I thought maybe it was Sowerby or Bagley but I can not find this pattern. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Lynn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Art Deco bowl with plinth
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
hi  -  made some time in the late 1940's I believe by Century Glass, Edmonton (near London, U.K.)  -  see this link.........     http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2375.msg17320.html#msg17320

Unfortunately, the tinypix seem to have gone walkabout  -  perhaps someone can add some more. :)

Edited to add.         should have looked more carefully.........there are some pix provided by Anne E.B. on reply No. 26 (under the above link) dated 8th August 2009.

Offline VictorianLynn

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
Thank you Paul! I would love to see pictures. I did a quick search online but came up with nothing. :( Hopefully someone can post some for me!
Lynn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
hi Lynn  -  me being less than clear with my editing I expect............  have a look at reply No. 26 in the link where you'll see the pix that Anne provided.
I hope it matches ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:34 PM »
Right clicking on the header immediately above a reply and selecting copy link address will give you the url of just that reply, voilą
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2375.msg151980.html#msg151980
Much easier than running out of fingers while counting

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
thanks for that :)  -  reading some of the other posts in that link will also give Lynn some idea of the history of Century Glass.

Intriguing to know if the company exported to the States, or if the present location of this one is the result of a private sale or part of a house contents move in the intervening years.

Offline VictorianLynn

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
I found the pictures!! That is definitely my bowl. Mystery solved. Although, Century Glass is a bit of a mystery itself. Many thanks to you both for all of your help.
Lynn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
probably a little known factory for most of us too, although some of the researchers here have obviously done their homework as you can see from the data provided in the posts in my earlier link.       Rarely do pieces from this factory surface on the GMB, and this bowl - which incidentally probably a little too late for the 'deco' period - is one of the few items that have become well known.             Their wares look to have been mostly utility pieces produced in the post war period of austerity in the U.K.
Occasionally, the black plinths, minus the glass bowl, are seen in charity shops - hollow side up - in the belief that these are stand alone pots of some description. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand