No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Cameo???  (Read 1982 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Webb Cameo???
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
This is the second piece I have seen listed, that does not look anything like Cameo to my untrained eye, but more like a pressed or blown moulding:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301482989576

Here is the SOLD listing from last week:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181627481816

Again, the squiggly 'Webb' signature (note, not "Webb's") is apparent, and a very similar textured background.

Any thoughts on this?

MODS: Whilst I appreciate the first mention is an active listing, the second is not. If it must be reviewed by the committee, please simply remove the link (only) - it will be easy enough for people to search for 'Webb Cameo' and find current listings.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Webb Cameo???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »
I think they are fine for Webb Cameo Fleur

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
Ah, OK - "untrained eye"...

MODS: Please dump this thread.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
Other opinions might be worth soliciting. Cameo Fleur was the economy version though

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »
Roger Dodsworth shows two pieces of cameo fleur in his 'BRITISH GLASS between the wars'  -  both have lily designs in relief and the form of stylization appears to agree with the decoration in David's links.
Dodsworth comments that both of the pieces shown in the book are simply marked 'Webb' in the relief decoration - as opposed to 'Webb's'.             In the Parkington auction catalogues this factory name on the vases is described as a 'cameo signature'.

If you look in the Thomas Webb museum catalogue (and elsewhere I believe), this particular range is described as 'Pseudo-Cameo'  -  presumably since someone didn't like the suggestion that they should be spoken of in the same breath as cameo work from the likes of George Woodall and Jules Barbe.              Might this be why Christine suggests cameo fleur was the economy version. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »
When you look at the edges of the blue in close up, they are not well-defined - they wobble all over the place.
I'd go with an "economy" version of whatever. The quality I'd expect from Webb's is just not there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
But they are Webb. Cameo Fleur was aimed at the mass market and used acid etching only, not engraving. Read about it in Art, Feat and Mystery by HW Woodward

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:02:46 AM »
and also see page 71 and 72 of 20th Century British Glass (2009) - Charles Hajdamach.
CH says (amongst long and detailed explanation on the process on both pages, including pictures of molds etc):
 ' This is the range which is often wrongly called 'Pseudo -Cameo'.   

(edited to add ... this phrase was specifically mentioned by CH and I wonder whether it might be to correct the phrase usage in previous books.  Paul mentions it being used in the Webb museum catalogue and it is also described as 'pseudo-cameo' in Cyril Manley's Decorative Victorian Glass which was produced in 1981 (page 83 item no 197), and which contains a number of errors).
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
We've been down this road before regarding this description, and a couple of years back Nigel gave his thoughts..........

""As for psuedo-cameo, this was the phrase used to refer to this type of glass ware when I first entered dealing 26 years ago. It has taken all this time, despite intervenning knowledge to correct. I suggest that it came about through someone latterly using the term and it catching on with collectors and dealers, and the mistake snowballed. Actually, I don't think it really matters how it arose, rather that we now use the right terminology.

Cheers, Nigel""

Trouble is that I'm now not sure what Nigel was saying the 'right terminology' should be :-\

It's unfortunate that the expression was used in both Woodward's book and the Dennis Hall catalogue   -   sources that would be thought of as providing correct information.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
Paul, as a matter of interest (I don't have either of those references), what year were they produced please?

mm, Art, Feat an Mystery is coming up as 1978.  I had been wondering whether the phrase used in Manley's book had influenced but since his book was produced 1981 then it seems Art Feat and Mystery came first.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand