No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: rare clichy canes?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline boxed

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • northern england
rare clichy canes?
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
Hi guys (happy new year) :)
 For some time now ive seen in online and public auctions clichy canes described as rare and to me look
like the ones that are usual in their paperweights so my question is what is a rare clichy cane and would anybody have any images of them and would like to post some images?
For know other reason then my own curiosity
Cheers
(boxed)
joe

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: rare clichy canes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »

Hi Joe.  I think you are correct about 'rare' Clichy canes looking like typical Clichy canes.  Most people using the words 'rare Clichy canes' probably know very little about paperweights - that is certainly the case with most auction houses, and many eBay sellers.  The Clichy rose cane, for example, is quite common - more than half of their paperweights include rose canes.  What are extremely rare are the signature canes that spell out 'CLICHY' - even fragments of the cane are very uncommon.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline boxed

• Members
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
Hi alan
thanks for your thoughts , i read something on net about daisy cane? But found nothing in any search
so another tail i suspect and your 100% correct on the "clichy" word thats only one ive found to be "rare"
Is there a colour thats unusual in weights made by clichy?
Cheers
alan
joe
(Boxed)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »

Hi Joe.  I don't think there is an unusual colour as such in canes, but the Clichy roses were made in various colour combinations, and some of these are much less common than others.  Many are pink or white with green outer, white with pink or green outer, or all white.  Yellow or purple are less common, and some (eg blue or green) are relatively rare.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline boxed

• Members
    • paperweights
    • northern england
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »
I will make a note of that alan thanks!! :) always find i think ive found a clichy only to be told its murano or german :(
all my best
joe
(Boxed)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand